To strip or not to strip?

More
11 Feb 2008 10:51 #193972 by Bicycle Lee
To strip or not to strip? was created by Bicycle Lee
So I am starting to get ancy for the warm weather and I want to start some paint removal on my gas tank. It has been rattle-canned with god only knows how many coats. I was wondering what the people here thought as to the preferred method of paint removal. Do I put a paint stripper on it? Do I just sand the hell out of it?

1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 11:03 #193977 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic To strip or not to strip?
If it's been rattle canned, you can buy Aircraft Remover at wal-mart. It will eat the paint right off the metal. Temps above 70 degrees help it work too.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Feb 2008 11:12 #193982 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic To strip or not to strip?
I like to use a stripper on rattle can paints. I usually use an abrasive wheel in my die grinder, but rattle can paint always seems to smear around a lot.
I found some stripper at Lowes that smells like oranges and it works really well. While you're there buy some small wire brushes to get in the nooks and crannies.
I've also used a heat gun to remove paint, but I probably wouldn't try it on a gas tank, unless I was sure all of the gas fumes are gone. And if you completely dry the tank of gas for any length of time, you should slosh some motor oil around in it to keep it from rusting.
Another thing is, if you strip the outside of it now, then wait for warm weather to re paint it, you need to protect the tank from rust. I use Dupont metal prep for that.

More
11 Feb 2008 11:18 #193985 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic To strip or not to strip?
thanks. And Riverroad: I love your avatar photo!

1978 KZ1000 police

More
11 Feb 2008 12:28 #194008 by jcote75
Replied by jcote75 on topic To strip or not to strip?
Based coat / clear coat or many other paint can react on what is underneath. (specialy over cheap rattle can paint)

Or you could probably use a good sealer. but best wait is to strip it.

More
11 Feb 2008 18:53 #194091 by 650 in Vegas
Replied by 650 in Vegas on topic To strip or not to strip?
I agree with everone who has poster so far. The only other advice I would give is to be very careful with the stripper if there are any patches of bondo (or any other filler) underneath all of that paint. Bondo is so porous that it has a really nasty habit of absorbing stripper and slowly releasing it after you have put a few coats of paint over it causing a real mess. No ammount of final sanding or sealing will fix this. Most commercial strippers have very specific directions on how to neutralize and prep an area for paint after you are done stripping, so if you follow the directions on the stripper exactly you will not have any problems. Just be very careful and don't cut any corners. Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you're done.

79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!

More
11 Feb 2008 20:14 #194120 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic To strip or not to strip?
Be careful with the stripper on the plastic parts.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
11 Feb 2008 20:32 #194127 by Bicycle Lee
thanks to everyone who posted. I got a can of spray stripper that has worked really well so far. I certainly have a couple bondo spots that I'll have to treat before painting.

1978 KZ1000 police

More
12 Feb 2008 12:43 #194237 by Bicycle Lee
so what do you treat the bondo spots with to ensure they don't ruin your future paint?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
12 Feb 2008 13:02 #194238 by jcote75
Replied by jcote75 on topic To strip or not to strip?
I would grind all the bondo off and start it back.

Just in case rust would had started under the bondo.

You'll passainr a few hours stripping, sanding and painting the tank + a few $$. So why not assure you that everything is fine underneath the bondo.

My 2ยข has they say!
Joce

More
17 Feb 2008 10:41 #195131 by Bicycle Lee
one more question: if I want to rinse out my tank to get out any foreign material that may have found it's way in there what should I use? Just water? Gas?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
17 Feb 2008 11:09 #195139 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic To strip or not to strip?
Bicycle Lee wrote:

one more question: if I want to rinse out my tank to get out any foreign material that may have found it's way in there what should I use? Just water? Gas?

I'd wear gloves and use Acetone to do this.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD