Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is my gas tank baffled? 02 Jan 2006 08:21 #15626

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Someone could probably pull it out with a stud gun. That paint will chip sooner or later, so you'll need to repaint. If the rest of the body panels were painted with the tank, you'll need to have the color matched. If it was done with a spray-can, that's no biggie as long as you can find out what was used on the tank in the first place.

If it was done with professional paints, any good paint shop can mix up some matching paint for you, but you'll need a paint gun and compressed air to lay it down.

Are you looking to do the tank yourself?

If you're in no hurry, John68 has said that he'll do "mail-order" paint jobs, so if you're looking to have it filled, color-matched, and sent back in clean condition send him a private message asking for a quote. I'm sure his price would be comfortably inside a couple of hundred dollars (I might be fuzzy, but I think his quoted price for doing tins w/o bodywork from the whole bike was just a few hundred), and I've seen his quality. It's very nice. ;)

I guess the most important questions are:
  1. Are you looking to paint the tank yourself?
  2. How soon do you need the tank back if you want it done professionally?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is my gas tank baffled? 02 Jan 2006 16:30 #15714

• romzrx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
That is not that bad Sakiguy,I am sure you will find a body shop to fill that dent and match the paint.I had two gas tanks repaired and paint match with my Vin number and they came out great, and only $200.each for my 94 magna.
76 KZ900
79 KZ1300
82 KZ1000J
C10
C14
ZRX1200

Is my gas tank baffled? 05 Jan 2006 03:37 #16075

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks like it is not too bad. You ca get the dent out a couple of ways, but will hurt the paint:
One is to heat the area with a torch till it is red then cool the outside of the dent with an ice cube this will cause the metal to pull itself back into place and keep original curve. I have sucessfully done this a couple of times. Some times you need to tap it with a flat hammer very lightly. Do NOT tap the surface with the hammer if it is hot!
Two is to super glue a piece of wood or plastic with a hook end, to the dent and pull it or tap with hammer.
Dont forget to drain the gas and rinse tank out so no fumes are present if you use the torch.

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2006/01/05 06:40

Is my gas tank baffled? 08 Jan 2006 09:08 #16700

• wireman
  • Visitor
hey twowheel,hows the cafe tank project coming?

John68 10 Jan 2006 03:52 #17020

• sakiguy
  • sakiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Forgot about this post, got worked up in electrical stuff. I suppose it's not that bad of a dent but I certainly can't live with it. It already has a paint chip on it as well, so I definitely want to get this done. Well, not looking to do this myself as I want it to look professional. I'm wondering if John68 can pull the dent and color match the tank, as I like the current color. I'm not really riding too much at the moment but would want it done by the end of March.
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

• Page: