Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 06:11 #12138

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • letthegoodtimesroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there anyway to get rid of the oxidization/discolouration of the front brake master cylinder? I have the plastic round one. Thanks!
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 06:20 #12141

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I don't understand how you can get oxidation on a plastic master cylinder. I have a plastic rear master cylinder where the bottom is aluminum and it cleans up nicely but the cylinder itself is plastic and is nasty discolored... there is no way to restore the thing short of replacement that I know of. The discoloration seems to be part of the plastic and while mine works well, it sure doesn't look new although I polished up the aluminum bits so it isn't terrible.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 09:28 #12174

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
YES, you can. You're looking for "plastic restorer". Ask your local auto paint shop for details.

Don't be afraid of a paint shop, either. Some products are expensive, but there are cheaper lines of everything, and some things are downright cheap when you think about what it would cost to buy a good-condition NOS replacement for the part.

I understand doing things on the cheap, but it seems like many are afraid to set foot inside an auto paint retailer. Don't let the lack of a "-mart" at the end of the name scare you away! Even if you buy your paint at Wal-Mart, the paint stores have lots of tools to make surface prep easier, and are often eager to supply advice about technique to the novice.

Now go ye forth and just tell them you're on a budget, but you're looking for something to restore old plastic.

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 10:05 #12178

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I stripped and repainted mine. Used DupliColor Black Satin finish.
But the DOT 3 fluid ate the paint around the threads for the cap. Took about 3 tries, but I finally got the paint to stick.
I put a new decal on the cap... got it at
www.reproductiondecals.com.
Here's a pic:
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 11:39 #12195

• wiredgeorge
  • User
ltdrider... he said his was plastic. I have an aluminum one as well on both my bikes and rattle can works fine as long as you don't slather brake fluid on it...

GC... What is "plastic restorer"... don't leave us hanging. What does it do? I can use acetone to wash plastic to remove small scratches and clean it up some but if the master cylinder is nasty yellow and really clouded up, will this plastic restorer do any better than acetone?
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 12:05 #12199

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
WG:
I know ltgtr SAID he had a plastic master cylinder, but I don't think Kaw made them in plastic. The cap may be plastic, if it's aftermarket.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 17:57 #12233

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ltds had the triangular shaped plastic piece between the aluminum lower body and aluminum top

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 07 Dec 2005 21:55 #12272

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
GargantuChet, like WG, I too would like to know more about this "plastic restorer".

If it can clean-up the plastic reservoir of a master cylinder, then perhaps, it can clean up the chain-oiler bottle or the black inner-guard and chain-guard on a Z1. A product name would be a start!
Regardz.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 08 Dec 2005 00:36 #12278

• John68
  • User
GargantuChet has important finals coming up. So, I am sure he is busy as hell.

I'll field all questions regarding "plastic restorer"

I don't have the nname sin front of me right now, as I am pretty burned out on this stuff (just worked from 9am to 3am) but I will post them on a later date.

I will post a decent write up after christmas on this.
I have 2 cars that must be done before december 25th and am falling miserably behind on them. I will be more active in this forum after the christmas season has passed. if you have white plastic that is brown or discolored, I have a solution. a detailed write up will follow!! be on the watch for a write-up!

regards,

your overworked and brutalized friend,

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 09 Dec 2005 07:11 #12426

• wiredgeorge
  • User
John, I have the nasty plastic LTD style brake fluid containers that were described... they look really really bad and I am very interested in your write-up. Please do the write up with some before/after pics and perhaps consider adding it as an ARTICLE! I would be happy to submit it for you if you can't.

LTD... I have the triangle shaped white (welllll it was 25 years ago) front master cylinder plastic bit and the rear master cylinder is also plastic and was originally white... both look like crap now but work fine. My purple test bike has 79 LTD brakes and suspension and rims...

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2005/12/09 10:12
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 15 Dec 2005 23:24 #13425

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
OK! GargantuChet, finals are over. You have whet my appetite, regarding info on this product. Please give us more and tell me it just wasn't a dream.

John, look forward to your write-up after Christmas, just thought I would touch base before I forget!

RegardZ.

PS. I have not found a good method to keep these posting so I can find them again... They usually fade away unanswered! I guess that's the only downside of 5000 members.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

Restoring Front Master Cylinder 17 Dec 2005 15:06 #13603

• wireguy
  • User
i was looking up something in kawasaki shop manual for 77 kz 1000 when i stumbled across a picture of a round non ltd style front master cylinder that also had a plastic resivoir with a screw on aluminum top.

• Page: