Powder coating frame

More
18 Mar 2007 15:39 #121335 by zmaniscalco
Powder coating frame was created by zmaniscalco
I am powder coating my 78 kz1000, I need to know what to watch out for, I am not able to get the bolts out that hold the foot pegs, is that a problem? If I leave them on what do I do to cover them? I would like to bring everything I can to the shop at the same time I am doing the frame, what to bring, battery box, brake bar, ????

I will also be putting Kosman's motor mount kit, will drilling out the hole be a problem???

Any other advice on the subject would be nice...
Thanks
Frank

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2007 15:47 #121337 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Powder coating frame
The footpeg mounting bolts have lock nuts on the backside of the frame. I think they're 13 or 14mm nuts. Take those off and it'll make taking the peg bolts out a lot easier.

Take whatever you want powdercoated to the shop. What you take is up to you.

Drilling the holes shouldn't be a problem and you're most likely going to have to run a tap through any threaded hole on the frame, and whatever else you're powdercoating, anyways.

Later, Duog

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
18 Mar 2007 16:50 #121354 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic Powder coating frame
Thanks,
but I pulled the nut off and put a pipe wrench on them they will not come out I hit them with a hammer also thinking they might just push in and not thread in.

Will my new steering bearing go in ok after podwer coating?

And one more thing, can I powder coat a nuts?? Or is it better to paint(thinking of gloss black)

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

More
18 Mar 2007 17:18 #121363 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Powder coating frame
My '78 and '76 have thread in bolts for the foot pegs. The steering head bearings shouldn'be be a problem after you clean the powder coat from the steering head...unless the shop you're using has a big enough plug for it and then you'll be fine.

I'm not sure about powdercoating nuts. I would pain them black since it'd be a lot easier to touch up later.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
18 Mar 2007 19:09 #121389 by zmaniscalco
me got bigger pipe wrench....
I am ready to go...well get started anyway.

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

More
18 Mar 2007 19:11 #121390 by zmaniscalco
wish me luck
I should get it dropped off this week

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2007 22:04 #121452 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Powder coating frame
make sure they mask off anything you dont want powder coating onwith high temp tape;)

More
19 Mar 2007 08:18 #121546 by zmaniscalco
thanks that sound like a good idea, can I do it before i bring to him, and should I fill the threads of my frame with trash bolts and nuts?

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2007 10:08 #121570 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Powder coating frame
they should have some sort of plugs for the threads,just make sure to point them out to the powdercoater;)

More
19 Mar 2007 12:42 #121606 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Powder coating frame
Dont put bolts in, the powder will build up around the bolt and when you back it out it will leave a ridge, crack and give water a place to go. I dont like plugs either never used them. they do the same thing, the build up will live a little ridge that will smash when you tighten a bolt down, better to leave open and run a tap thru it after.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
19 Mar 2007 14:16 #121628 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Powder coating frame
Consider some masking or other treatment (like specify light coat?) for the steering head VIN. Can be a headache at the DMV, smog testing place, etc. if that gets coated over such that it's unreadable. I asked mine to be masked and it wasn't -- still readable, but pretty shallow now.

Ideally, would be better to drill and fit Kosman kit before you coat it. I have one and it took a little fitting work. Among other things, less risk of messing up your fine new powdercoat at those drilling spots. Build, Tear Down, then Finish [everything I know about bike builds I learned from the Discovery Channel :whistle: ] But don't sweat it, it's probably OK either way.

Oh yeah, one other thing: When you pick it up, shake the sandblasting media out of the frame BEFORE you put it in the back of your car.

'75 Z1B with mods

More
19 Mar 2007 14:22 #121630 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Powder coating frame
One other other thing: I think you oughta remove the peg bolt hardware if you can. I can't exactly remember but pretty sure they're threaded into the frame fitting in addition to the backing nut? Like suspenders and straps arrangement. I think you have to twist 'em out after the backing nut is off.

Got a picture of one around here somewhere:

Post edited by: elseed, at: 2007/03/19 17:24

'75 Z1B with mods
Attachments: