Fork Bracing?

More
14 Dec 2006 12:27 #99594 by Samwell
Fork Bracing? was created by Samwell
As part of my ongoing rebuild of my KZ, I've been looking at fork braces for the spindly front end. Yes I know, I can graft on newer forks, but then I'm looking to keep things sort of period correct.

Anyway, I found these on flea bay and wanted to get a few opinions for the learned folk in these parts...

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&it...2&fromMakeTrack=true

Reading the description, it says the box isn't available but it was only taken out to photograph?

Maybe I'm being too suspicious...

thanks....Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2006 13:58 #99606 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Fork Bracing?
Looks rugged enough.... would it bolt on with your fender still in place?
Can somebody explain the word "stichion" used in the description of that brace?:S

More
14 Dec 2006 14:55 #99607 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Fork Bracing?
Stichion is the words Stick & Friction together. Kind of a hold, release, hold, release action is the forks try to compress and extend in their travel.

Later Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Dec 2006 15:29 #99612 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Fork Bracing?
Samwell wrote:

As part of my ongoing rebuild of my KZ, I've been looking at fork braces for the spindly front end. Yes I know, I can graft on newer forks, but then I'm looking to keep things sort of period correct.

Anyway, I found these on flea bay and wanted to get a few opinions for the learned folk in these parts...

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&it...2&fromMakeTrack=true

Reading the description, it says the box isn't available but it was only taken out to photograph?

Maybe I'm being too suspicious...

thanks....Sam

period correct,my kind of guy!B) :P

More
14 Dec 2006 16:57 #99638 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic Fork Bracing?
i have the exact one, it needs paint if you want it let me know.

More
14 Dec 2006 17:27 #99645 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Fork Bracing?
I've used that same brace for 18 years and it has worked great. The stock fender still fits over it. I recently had to buy the clamp style since I went with a wider front wheel and had to modify the forks and fender. There just isn't room for my 3.5" front wheel. The clamp style mounts on the very top of the fork legs, above the fender. If not for the wheel mod I'd still use the same type. I also have two of these if you're interested...:whistle:

Post edited by: 79MKII, at: 2006/12/14 20:31

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2006 17:53 - 03 Dec 2008 11:21 #99649 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:21 by JMKZHI.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
14 Dec 2006 20:16 #99690 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Fork Bracing?
79MKII wrote:

....I also have two of these if you're interested...:whistle:

<br><br>Post edited by: 79MKII, at: 2006/12/14 20:31

If it will fit a KZ650B/C model, I'm all over it like stink on sh...
Seriously, which bike(s) do they fit?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
15 Dec 2006 04:37 #99715 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Fork Bracing?
StreetfighterKz wrote:

Stichion is the words Stick & Friction together. Kind of a hold, release, hold, release action is the forks try to compress and extend in their travel.

Later Doug

Thanks. Learn something new every day, they say... now I can coast for the rest of today!

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
15 Dec 2006 05:26 #99725 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Fork Bracing?
I couldn't resist. :blink: I had to look it up, and post this.

Stiction
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Cite This Source

Stiction is an informal contraction of the term "static friction" ("&#956;s"), perhaps also influenced by the verb "stick".
Two solid objects pressing against each other (but not sliding) will require some threshold of force parallel to the surface of contact in order to overcome static cohesion. Stiction is a threshold, not a continuous force.

Experiment to Demonstrate Stiction
Place a wooden block near one end of a long wooden board. Leaving the far end of the board on the floor, lift the end with the block until the slope of the board is sufficient for the block to begin sliding downward without being pushed. Then lower the board slightly.

Placing the block again at the top, it will not begin to slide on its own. However, it will begin and continue to slide if given a small initial push. The push adds the necessary force to overcome stiction. Once the block is moving, it no longer requires the larger force.

Stiction and Automobile Driving
Stiction is also the same threshold at which a rolling object would begin to slide over a surface rather than rolling at the expected rate (and in the case of a wheel, in the expected direction). In this case, it's called "rolling friction" or "&#956;r".

This is why driver training courses teach that if a car begins to slide sideways, the driver should try to steer in the same direction as the slide with no brakes. It gives the wheels a chance to regain static contact by rolling, which gives the driver some control again. An overentheusiastic driver may "squeal" the driving wheels trying to get a rapid start but this impressive display of noise and smoke is less effective than maintaining static contact with the road. Many stunt-driving techniques are also done by deliberately breaking and/or regaining this rolling friction.

A car on a slippery surface can slide a long way if the driver "locks" the wheels in stationary positions by pressing hard on the brakes. Anti-lock brake systems use some means of detecting this dangerous situation automatically, then interrupt the braking, giving the tires a chance to re-establish the higher resistance of stiction many times per second in rapid succession. Anti-lock brakes can be much more effective than cadence braking which is essentially a non-automatic technique for doing the same thing, though human beings quickly adapt to the same level of risk (see Risk Compensation).

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
15 Dec 2006 05:31 #99727 by ambergrismooon
Replied by ambergrismooon on topic Fork Bracing?
I used a SR front fender on my 900LTD cause I wanted a painted fender and I liked the look of the chrome nuts against the paint. I was pretty amazed at the thickness of the piece that the fender attaches to. It is basically a fork brace. I always said If I was gonna do a tracker I would get one of those for it.
Attachments:

More
15 Dec 2006 07:09 - 03 Dec 2008 11:22 #99749 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:22 by JMKZHI.