RACER54 here is the info u wanted

More
22 Nov 2006 21:56 #94212 by rattler
RACER54 here is the info u wanted was created by rattler
RACER54..."Seen your bike inthe gallery. Am going to try to do the same thing myself this winter. What wheels did you use..17"? and what size tire? Did you use an offset sprocket on the front? What fork set-up do you have on there? What did you have to do to mount it and make it work? Like to know all the details if you have the time."

the complete front end on my kz1000 is a 2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200. it acultay took quite a bit of work to make the front end work on my bike. first i had to press the steering stems out of my kz1000 bottom tripple and the one out of the ZZr1200 bottom tripple. since the ZZr steering stem was so much bigger than the KZ1000 stem i had to get two hat-bushings made to take up the space. once i had the hat-bushings made i had to press one hat-bushing on to the bottom of the kz1000 steering stem then tig weld it. then i pressed the steering stem and hat-bushing as one unit into the ZZR1200 bottom tripple and tiged it up.the other hat-bushing was pressed into the top tripple. then all you need is the new set of KZ1000 tapered steering stem bearings and you have to use the KZ1000 lockingnut and washer from the old set up to losk it down and you area pretty much set to go as far as the front end goes.

as for the rear end i had my dad fab a custom swingarm using a old yoke from a stock kz1000 swingarm. i had him make it wide enough to except a wider wheel and it was five inches over stock from the yoke to the axel. the rear wheel and complete brake system was of a GSXR1100( it almost matches the ZZR front whell perfect). the GSXR1100 wheel is a 17 x 5.5 and i am runing a 180 back tire. to make the chain run straight and true i had to use a 5/8 offset sprocket up front. to make this work i had to take the sprocket cover off and remove the honeycomb like plate inside there and do a lil grinding to the inside lip of the cover so the chain did not drag on the cover. i had to use 530 chain and sprockets for this to work.

i hope this helps some. if you have any more questions feel free to ask i will help as much as i can when you get to the point were you start on yours.

i will also post this in the chasiss topic for you to refer to in the future.

i will try to get some better pictures tomarrow if i can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2006 22:16 #94222 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic RACER54 here is the info u wanted
Great info,Rattler!
I'm doing the same thing(starting soon,I hope)but I'm using all ZRX1100 parts for MY project,but a lot of what You said will apply to Me as well.
A lot of what You said,I already know about,but the,"Hat-Bushings"...pretty sure I understand what they are,but could You post some pics...or is it too late?
Either way...thanks Rattler...way kool!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
22 Nov 2006 22:18 #94224 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic RACER54 here is the info u wanted
here is the only half way decent pic i have on my pc at the moment.

More
22 Nov 2006 22:26 #94227 by Sandy
Try again Rattler...no pic uploaded,Bud.:huh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
22 Nov 2006 22:38 #94230 by rattler
here it is sorry......
Attachments:

More
22 Nov 2006 22:48 #94235 by rattler
its just a bushing that has a big lip on the bottom so that the bushing can not be pulled through or into what ever it going on.

Attachments:

More
22 Nov 2006 23:04 #94238 by rattler
sandy who is that in ur avatar pic.... it looks like a guy from lasvegas extreme stunt team named D-man.

More
23 Nov 2006 08:18 #94294 by Sandy
rattler wrote:

sandy who is that in ur avatar pic.... it looks like a guy from lasvegas extreme stunt team named D-man.

Rattler...it very well could be...I captured it from the video,"When Stunts Go Wild"...AWESOME crash vids!
Not SERIOUS(to the Rider) crashes,but a lot of stunts that go...uhhh...bad?...plastic all OVER the place,from doing wheelies,stoppies,and just...stunts,LOL.:laugh: :ohmy: :woohoo: :( :ohmy:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 Nov 2006 10:37 #94325 by rattler
i belive it is.... i got a pretty big collection of motorcycle stunt dvds.. up to about thirty or so now.

More
23 Nov 2006 22:09 #94472 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic RACER54 here is the info u wanted
Thanks Rattler. Going to put a ZX7 frontend on mine but some of the info you have there will go for my set-up also. Appreciate the post. Bike looks great by the way! Are you using a 520 chain on there or did you make the 630 chain work? Where did the sprockets come from if they are 520?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
24 Nov 2006 13:30 #94577 by rattler
racer54 i am runing a 530 chain and sprockets. if you are going to go with the early zx-7 inverted forks you might want to call the guy that runs cycle-recycle2 in indy. he has put these forks on a few bikes. i was told by them you dont even got to swap steering stems. i belive he said that you just have to the kz lower steering stem tapered bearing and a zx7 top one. no positive it been a long time since i have talked to them. the year forks he told me to look for were 91-94 i think. if you can frind there number let me know i will look it up for you.

More
24 Nov 2006 13:43 #94580 by kyradawg
Replied by kyradawg on topic RACER54 here is the info u wanted
rattler wrote:

racer54 i am runing a 530 chain and sprockets. if you are going to go with the early zx-7 inverted forks you might want to call the guy that runs cycle-recycle2 in indy. he has put these forks on a few bikes. i was told by them you dont even got to swap steering stems. i belive he said that you just have to the kz lower steering stem tapered bearing and a zx7 top one. no positive it been a long time since i have talked to them. the year forks he told me to look for were 91-94 i think. if you can frind there number let me know i will look it up for you.

Rattler, where did you round up the 530 countershaft sproket?

Peace&Love:) , Darren