Lowering front forks...an offer

More
24 Oct 2006 06:17 #86819 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Lowering front forks...an offer
Progressive sells lowering "kits". These are shorter springs and spacers that are the same length as the amount of spring lost. If the springs are two inches shorter, the spacers are two inches. The bike will drop two inches but the spacers take up the space where the spring had been and compress the springs. Without this compression, the springs can bounce and when you go over a bump, there is an unsettling KLUNK. I know this from personal experience when I used the Progressive stuff WITHOUT the spacers... You can cut the spacers down a little and drop the bike further but cut them to far and you get the KLUNK. Look at the Progressive web site at their pics of the lowering kits for cruisers... they all have the spacers. Oh yeah, you install the spring first, then a washer then the spacer on top.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/10/24 09:18

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2006 06:23 #86822 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Lowering front forks...an offer
wireman wrote:

hang on im thinking!:P ive got a set of forks in back of wifes van i forgot about,have to sneak them out without her noticing theyre in there!:whistle: :Pive got a 4" dropped I-beam axle in there i need to pull out also:S :P<br><br>Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/10/23 05:48

4" dropped I beam from what? For what?!

More
24 Oct 2006 08:33 #86855 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Lowering front forks...an offer
are there any diagrams that show how the lowering kits with top spacers work?

I can't envison how a shorter spring, with a spacer to account for the lost height would lower anything.

The only way to lower it, AFAIC, is to put the spacer around the tube itself, inside the fork lowers so that it doesn't rebound as far..only as far as the fork spring is long anyways so that it doesn't recoil fully and its still a little bit compressed.

Is there anything like this on the market? Doesn't this make sense to anyone else? I'll make up a diagram..

This is obviously an extreme example, to show the concept..not a realistic change in travel since I think that the rebound that the left fork does have would eventually cause your seals to eject. :P

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2006/10/24 11:58

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4
Attachments: