side covers

More
12 Oct 2006 19:45 #83798 by oldsguru
side covers was created by oldsguru
What years/models side covers fit a 75 z1 900?

I can buy this bike for $500 It is a one owner, 15k miles,has been in storage,missing carbs and side covers. They were stolen in storage. By the way it was stored in a barn with no cover so it is very dirty. Is this a deal I shouldn't pass up? How rare are the Z1 900? Thanks :unsure:

Post edited by: oldsguru, at: 2006/10/13 08:17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2006 04:30 #83851 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic side covers
Jeez, this isn't a telegram; you don't have to pay for each word....:P

More
13 Oct 2006 05:19 #83863 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic side covers
That's it, give the new guy hell on his first post.
:dry:

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
13 Oct 2006 05:32 #83867 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic side covers
If Nevco had actually provided ANY info, he might have been entitled to a small whine bwhahahaha but he didn't so...

The Z1 is the most desireable of the KZs as far as collectability goes. The 73/74 models; especially early 73s are MOST collectible. A LOT of 75s were made but a nicely restored 75 has more value than later models like the two KZ900s I own. In any case, have a look at my web site for pics of the carbs you are missing and aftermarket sidecovers are readily available (Maier makes them).

The originals tend to be pricey on eBay because on the Z1, the right hand cover tends to blow off when the bike is running down the road and lots of owners need them. If you put new covers on, there are bunches of tricks to ensure they don't blow off...

As far as the $500, that depends... FIRST - if you want to buy a bike, you have to realize that the money isn't important but you WILL have a lot of sweat equity in the project getting it pretty and back on the road. You really have to want to own that bike. If you don't you will give up on the project and the $500 plus other monies invested will seem like a fortune. If you really want to own and ride a Z1, then $500 will be a bargain and you won't notice all the other money slide through your fingers into the project.

I own a project KZ1000E1 ST shaft and make it a priority to NOT keep track of how much money I am spending. I just spend it slow and the missus doesn't much notice hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Oct 2006 05:33 #83869 by Nevco48
Hey, I threw in a Smiley Face:P :P !

More
13 Oct 2006 05:40 #83875 by Nevco48
oldsguru wrote:

I can buy this bike for $500 It is a one owner, 15k miles,has been in storage,missing carbs and side covers. They were stolen in storage. By the way it was stored in a barn with no cover so it is very dirty. Is this a deal I shouldn't pass up? How rare are the Z1 900? Thanks :unsure:<br><br>Post edited by: oldsguru, at: 2006/10/13 08:17

That's a bit more info, looks like WG gave some good advice... would there be a concern about crap getting into the engine with the carbs gone for a long time?

BTW, where abouts are you? Maybe someone here stole the side covers....:whistle:

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Oct 2006 05:56 #83878 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic side covers
Nevco48 wrote:

oldsguru wrote:

I can buy this bike for $500 It is a one owner, 15k miles,has been in storage,missing carbs and side covers. They were stolen in storage. By the way it was stored in a barn with no cover so it is very dirty. Is this a deal I shouldn't pass up? How rare are the Z1 900? Thanks :unsure:<br><br>Post edited by: oldsguru, at: 2006/10/13 08:17

That's a bit more info, looks like WG gave some good advice... would there be a concern about crap getting into the engine with the carbs gone for a long time?

BTW, where abouts are you? Maybe someone here stole the side covers....:whistle:

and for a small fee they might be returned!:evil: :P see if you can get him down some,then jump on it.Z1s are cool,it dont matter what year they are the origional hotrod!:evil:
Attachments:

More
13 Oct 2006 06:01 #83880 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic side covers
Yeah, follow George's advice....but an interesting point was brought up by Nevco48. If the carbs have been gone for an extended period of time, then you might want to figure out if the bike actually can be turned over. If the pistons are frozen, it might be an additional consideration and certainly a very strong bargaining point in re-negotiating the $500 asking price.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
13 Oct 2006 06:01 #83881 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic side covers
delete me

Post edited by: Mcdroid, at: 2006/10/13 09:02

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
13 Oct 2006 06:18 #83892 by oldsguru
Replied by oldsguru on topic side covers
That is my major concern, The carbs that were stolen the owner said they were 33 SB vance/hines? He has the original carbs but says they are shot? prob just need rebuilt. I will try to post a pic I got of it before it went to storage.

More
13 Oct 2006 06:26 #83893 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic side covers
Nevco... was only kidding...

I DO stand by original point. If the bike only lacks sidescovers/carbs, $500 isn't a horrible starting point. I don't care much if the bike is "locked" as I have spare engines, spare cylinder heads, spare blocks/pistons, etc. I would rebuild anyway... IF I WANTED TO RIDE THE BIKE. I already have two 900s and doubt I would have much gumption to get another one on the road hence my comment about REALLY wanting to own and ride that model. That is why I am excited about my shafty... I REALLY want to get it on the road and ride it. I would also feel the same way about the right GPz1100... I would gladly trade a nicely running and freshly repainted KZ900 for a GPz1100 that was substantially all there. Why? I JUST WANT ONE... when you have an itch you gotta scratch it eventually. I just don't like to have multiple itches at the same time so am avoiding doing eBay searches for GPz1100s hehe By the way, after 35 years of wedded bliss, the missus still doesn't really understand the itch for the next bike. She loves to ride with me two up and tour but owning six bikes as I currently do, doesn't make much sense to her. She is the sensible one in the family as I can't ride them all or even find time to work on them all... anyone want a CB900C cheap? 10 speed! hehehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Oct 2006 06:45 #83897 by oldsguru
Replied by oldsguru on topic side covers
Here is the pic before storage.

Post edited by: oldsguru, at: 2006/10/13 09:59

I can't get the pic to upload!

Post edited by: oldsguru, at: 2006/10/13 10:08
Attachments: