new drive chain, more questions!

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Sep 2006 12:56 #77885 by tcbradbury98
Replied by tcbradbury98 on topic new drive chain
I ordered one from denniskirk, was only a $1.99, already had them sending me a front sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2006 18:52 #78848 by tcbradbury98
My bike takes a 530x100 chain. So I can remove one link from the 530x102 chain I bought, right? When you count the amount of links does that include the master link? If so I have 100 now with the master link. I cannot get it connected. I have the wheel as far forward as it will go and still short. Can I have a link added to it? Or am I stuck buying another chain? Thanks

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Sep 2006 16:23 #79244 by tcbradbury98
anyone?

More
24 Sep 2006 17:12 #79262 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic new drive chain
If you bought the "too short" chain new, could you exchange it for one that's a link or two longer?

If you have the rear wheel full forward, can you measure to see how many more links you need than what you got now?

Dennis Kirk or no...a new chain should generally always come with a new master link.

I think you count the rivets (not including the open link ends where the master goes) from one end to the other to get the actual number of chain links. Someone here can tell you fo sho.

Good luck!

Here's a good link for you too:
Chains and Such

• tcbradbury98
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Sep 2006 19:08 #79297 by tcbradbury98
The chain was new, but I bought it from a private seller, it is one, (maybe) two links short, I bought a chain repair kit, if it works great, if not I will take it to the local kaw dealer and have them fix it, thanks for the info!

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2006 20:57 #79353 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new drive chain
i usually try and put my wheel back as far in adjusters as possible and still alow a litle adjustment,that extra 1"works like a poormans extended swingarm and most people dont catch it.;)

More
25 Sep 2006 04:55 #79385 by darkwolf29a
Replied by darkwolf29a on topic new drive chain
RonKZ650 wrote:

In theory the front sprocket is easy to change. You need to remove the engine cover, that means removing the shift lever, left footpeg and starter cover. Now your sprocket is clearly visible, flatten the lockwasher, put on a big socket and remove the nut. This is when the "in theory easy to remove" comes in, the nut can be anywhere from finger tight to 300 ft/lb tight. Once you get the sprocket off a 1 tooth change should not require a different length of chain. I should change my "all chains come with a masterlink" to every chain I've ever seen has come with a masterlink. In my mind if it doesn't come with a masterlink it must be one of those great deals,(otherwise known as a Chinese POS). How in the World do they expect you to use a chain without a masterlink? I suspect different brands of chain have slightly different diameter pins ect, "brand A" masterlink is not a good idea to use with a "brand B" chain.

Working on taking my front sprocket off now. :( I think it's got the 300ft/lb tight. :( Any thoughts on how to remove it, without a impact wrench? I'm trying to get the money together for one, but it will be a few months before I can.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2006 05:11 #79387 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new drive chain
leave chain on,have someone hold brake and jump on breaker bar!:P

More
25 Sep 2006 05:14 - 03 Dec 2008 16:59 #79388 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 16:59 by JMKZHI.

More
25 Sep 2006 12:18 #79471 by darkwolf29a
Replied by darkwolf29a on topic new drive chain
I went one better than that. :P LOL

I went to ebay, and got an IR impact wrench and compressor for $120 total. :) I'm most pleased, and that is much cheaper than I was thinking by looking at various online stores, and checking various home centers. :) :silly: