More
12 Sep 2006 16:31 #76187 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Using a seal puller? And Puzzling Spring Coil
oh god will someone please put up a picture of pulling a seal! he got some good advice but this one is too good and so open to jokes it is almost irresable! i so wish i had photoshop!

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/09/12 19:32

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/09/12 19:32

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2006 16:50 #76190 by Six9GS
I recently replaced the fork seals on my 78 KZ650. I refered to the book and, in bad english, states that you need to heat up the fork. After having no luck with a screwdriver (I have no puller), I decided to try their recommendation. Using a basic cheap butane torch, I heated the fork up and the seals easily slid out with nothing but a screwdriver.!!!! Who would have thunk it! Follow instructions, what a concept!

Anyway, that's what I did and it worked well for me.

Good Luck!!

PS. I sounds to me like the spring you are reffering to is a part of the old seal. The seals have a spring, much like the airbox ones that are an integral part of the seal itself. In jacking it around you probably just pried it out of the old seal. That's my thought anyway.

Post edited by: Six9GS, at: 2006/09/12 19:55

• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Sep 2006 17:14 - 22 Feb 2013 11:25 #76194 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
=
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 11:25 by JMKZHI.

More
12 Sep 2006 19:03 #76218 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Using a seal puller? And Puzzling Spring Coil
Six9GS wrote:

Who would have thunk it! Follow instructions, what a concept!

You can't be a real man then!:laugh:

More
12 Sep 2006 19:13 #76222 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Using a seal puller? And Puzzling Spring Coil
kawsakiman wrote:

oh god will someone please put up a picture of pulling a seal! he got some good advice but this one is too good and so open to jokes it is almost irresable! i so wish i had photoshop!

Here's a "Seal" for you, kawasakiman...
Attachments:

More
12 Sep 2006 20:48 #76253 by rgpbeme
Replied by rgpbeme on topic Using a seal puller? And Puzzling Spring Coil
Maybe I am cornfused. I have replaced the fork seals on a couple of my old kz's

After taking the retaining cir clips out I put a little wd-40 on them. Take the springs out them unscrew the bottom allen bold which is recessed at the axle end. Then just pull the forks apart. When they are totally expanded push the top tube in about a 1" then pull it up hard till it hits. It takes about 5 strokes and the seal pops right out and the forks come apart. I then clean the inside of the bottom with a rag pushed in with a stick. I blow the rag out by putting a air gun in the bottom hole where the axle would mount.
To put the seals in I use a piece of 1 1/2 pvc pipe that is longer than the top tube. I just put the pipe over the fork tube tap the top of the pipe with a hammer.It drives the seals in easly

More
24 Sep 2006 10:23 #79173 by tbutcher
Replied by tbutcher on topic Using a seal puller? And Puzzling Spring Coil
Like Six9GS has said, heating up the casting works very well, I just completed the removal three days ago, heating and then using a screw driver works well.

Tim

PS I need a details diagram or list of locations to re-assemble the piston assembly. My forks were completely disassembled by a friend in my absence and I want to make sure I reassemble every thing correct.

More
24 Sep 2006 10:28 #79174 by tbutcher
Replied by tbutcher on topic Using a seal puller? And Puzzling Spring Coil
Like Six9GS has said, heating up the casting works very well, I just completed the removal three days ago, heating and then using a screw driver works well.

Tim

PS I need a details diagram or list of locations to re-assemble the piston assembly. My forks were completely disassembled by a friend in my absence and I want to make sure I reassemble every thing correct.

• JMKZHI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Nov 2006 06:43 - 03 Dec 2008 16:34 #94023 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 16:34 by JMKZHI.