Wheel Bearings

More
24 Aug 2006 17:07 #72264 by Krammit2
Replied by Krammit2 on topic Wheel Bearings
Axel nut torque is 58 fp. Tightening should have no effect on the bearings or the ability of the wheel to roll on the axel. If it does something is wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• IlllMikeIlll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Aug 2006 17:36 #72267 by IlllMikeIlll
Replied by IlllMikeIlll on topic Wheel Bearings
Yeah I saw those slots and my speedo works fine. the bike rides nice and everything wheel spins smooth I just went out and looked at it. I am not sure why the wheel dosent spin as freely as i tightened the axle nut. I have to hang my bike out of a tree with a comealong so I didnt take everything apart.. though I did loosen the forks and tighten up the axle nuts. I rode the bike to work today and it rode fine strait as an arrow and smooth as silk.. I only work about 2 miles away from home. Like I said I tightened the axle nuts so I am going to ride it again tomorow. Guess Ill just have to keep a constant eye on it and hope it lasts me untill this weekend when I can get some energy up and take all that apart again.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
14 Oct 2007 11:45 #176138 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Wheel Bearings
IlllMikeIlll:
Apeman is right about the speedo tab alignment. I had the same problem this weekend. First time I put everything together, almost any tightening more than finger tight would cause the wheel to drag. The speedometer worked, but the speedo unit was in a bind. That is what is causing the drag, and not wheel bearing preload. I expect that if the speedo alighment is not right, and mileage is run, then it will wear the metal sleeve out fairly soon.

So I took everything apart again. Carefully placed the speedo unit into the hub so the tabs align. I knew it was right this time because the unit stayed all the way in the hub, whereas before it would push back out about 1/8". Of course, once you insert the speedo unit, do not let it come back out, otherwise it may shift again where the tab alignment is not right. Now the axle nut can be tightened to the 50+ foot lbs. torque and the wheel still spins freely.
Good luck.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
15 Oct 2007 12:27 #176270 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Wheel Bearings
Take a real good look at that pic posted above, see all those spacers? Those spacers combined with the inner bearing race form a solid tube between the axle nuts, when you tighten the axle nuts they should be doing nothing but applying pressure to that solid tube.

It's simple, if you can't torque the axle nuts to spec (or even more actually) without affecting the spinning of the tire/wheel, then something is assembled wrong.

Keep in mind that riding around without the axle nuts torqued to specs is an invitation to the ER. In other words, things could get exciting in a hurry :)

KD9JUR

More
15 Oct 2007 14:53 #176283 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Wheel Bearings
I had mine back off , rechecked everything, and they did it again, so now loctite makes sure that dosent happen again

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
15 Oct 2007 15:58 #176295 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Wheel Bearings
Hang bike from tree?? Why not simply put your bike on the centerstand and slip a cheap bottlejack under the front of the engine (put a little board between jack and engine to distribute weight). That works for me with no problem. In any case, you do need to pull the front wheel and find the problem before it hurts you. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)