Question on brake bleeding

More
24 Aug 2006 10:48 #72153 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Question on brake bleeding
Both my mine do on the 650s. I assume the fountain is seen from the hole farthest from the lever?

What kind of lines are on your bike? My SR with OEM lines now feel much less solid than the 650B with new stainless braided lines. Did you hone the MC?

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2006 01:59 #72342 by Sorf
Replied by Sorf on topic Question on brake bleeding
N0NB wrote:

Both my mine do on the 650s. I assume the fountain is seen from the hole farthest from the lever?

What kind of lines are on your bike? My SR with OEM lines now feel much less solid than the 650B with new stainless braided lines. Did you hone the MC?

- Nate >>

Could have been that hole, haven't tried again lately. I'm using OEM lines, though new, (keeping bike original) The bore "looked" good, so no I didn't hone. Would there be any weeping or such if the bore was buggered? 'cos there's none of that. I guy did tell me once that the bore can wear and that a small packer (2-3mm, AKA a screw) driven into the end of the lever where it contacts the piston head, will move the piston down just far enough to resolve most wear issues. Ever heard of that one?

More
25 Aug 2006 07:43 #72394 by cudaosix
Replied by cudaosix on topic Question on brake bleeding
Changed and bled the brake fluid last night. I did it per Nates instructions and it worked out fine. The reservior needed to be cleaned up a little. It had dirt or something black collected in the cornes and some on the bottom. I sucked it our easily with that turkey baster and left it clean. The front brakes are an improvement, they worked well and the lever felt fine before anyway. The rear was always a little spongy, apparently whoever bled the rear before left some air in the line. Now it works and feels much better, big improvement. I'll be doing this once a year or so from now on. Thanks for the help everyone.

More
25 Aug 2006 15:41 #72470 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Question on brake bleeding
Very well, Sorf. I used the lines from www.helusa.com with a black cover and from a few feet away, it's hard to tell that they aren't OEM. I think that hole acts as a relief valve so some amount of lever travel exists. Once the plunger (for lack of a better term) gets past it, the system builds pressure as the lever is squeezed.

Cuda, glad it worked out. I think that is the "secret" most people are looking for. It's been mentioned a few times around here in the past. Just be ready to spread the word the next time someone asks. :)

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
07 Sep 2006 06:17 #75059 by beaterbike
Replied by beaterbike on topic Question on brake bleeding
How timely.

After figuring out why my bakes sucked..one of the discs was covered in Brake Fluid.

I had the calipers rebuilt (shop didn't have a kit, but plenty of seals - so for $50 calipers...done)

So last night I was bleeding the brakes using the vacum deally...or maybe put the sucky vacum deally. After a while I supplied the suction... Long story short. Still have no pressure..:unsure: so.. time to back up and try the pump open close release method.

More
07 Sep 2006 07:19 - 03 Dec 2008 17:18 #75066 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 17:18 by JMKZHI.

More
07 Sep 2006 07:31 #75072 by GPZ1100
Replied by GPZ1100 on topic Question on brake bleeding
I rebuild my calipers and replaced hoses with braided stainless steel ones.

To bleed, I use speed bleeders qnd a tube hooked up to a little bottle. Easy as pie. I went through 2 bottles of Bel-Ray DOT 4 just to make sure I had it all. Worst part was constantly topping off the resevoir.

More
08 Sep 2006 16:40 #75337 by beaterbike
Replied by beaterbike on topic Question on brake bleeding
Went back and did it by the book. Also "blead" master cylinder. Better but nor perfesct... still working on it.