76 KZ 900 A4 wheels

More
03 Aug 2006 20:47 #67042 by MAS76KZ
Replied by MAS76KZ on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
Yes wire spokes.
When I turned 18 bought a H 750 rode it for years and never once thought about spokes being loose. This KZ had manythat were very loose, been working on trying to tightn them and keep the wheel straight. Guess I am not too good at that.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2006 22:47 #67245 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
man that a nice ride....!:ohmy: only 7000 miles huh? its just now time to unleash the beast with in:laugh: .

ever decide to see it i want 1st dibs!! makes me wish my kz was stil stock looking but on the other hand nnaaa.

you might want to find some mags off of a kz1000ltd. there use to be some on my Mkii frame on the porch but some dayum theif stole them. guess i deserved it. leaving kz part laying outside every were is like throwing chas all over the fron lawn, someone is going to snag it up a quick as they can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
28 Jan 2007 16:00 #108815 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
i am also wanting new wheels on my 900A4, but i want Mag type with drum rear.

will settle for spokes if they are without any rust inside the tire area. mine are all rusted and nasty inside the rim bead. Really sucks, but thats what happens when people leave bikes out in the elements.

More
28 Jan 2007 16:43 #108823 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
MAS76KZ wrote:

... I thought about converting to disc on rear if its not too tuff to do!

Careful what you wish for ...

Ma Kaw first went from drum to disk rear brake on the 1976 KZ900LTD.

Am respectfully submitting the following blurb as food for thought regarding change in rear brake style which might possibly save you some time and money.

[Please forgive caps as this was copied and pasted.]

INSTEAD OF THE PREVIOUS DRUM BRAKE, THE LTD WAS FITTED WITH A REAR DISK BRAKE. THIS WAS MORE OF A COSMETIC CHANGE THAN FUNCTIONAL, BECAUSE THE OLD DRUM WAS MUCH BETTER. HOWEVER, FASHION DICTATED THE CHANGE.
A 277 MM DISK PLATE WAS BOLTED TO THE REAR MORRIS WHEEL VIA AN ADAPTER PLATE AND FOUR 10MM BOLTS. TWO TAB WASHERS SECURED THESE BOLTS IN POSITION.
A SINGLE PISTON CALLIPER WAS FITTED ONTO A HOLDER PLATE WHICH THE REAR AXLE RAN THROUGH. A CHROME TORQUE ARM RAN FROM THE CALLIPER BRACKET DOWN TO THE REAR SWINGING ARM WHERE IT WAS SECURED AT EACH END BY A 12 MM BOLT. THIS TORQUE ARM WAS NOW FASTENED ON TOP OF THE SWING ARM UNLIKE PREVIOUS DRUM BRAKE MODELS WHICH WERE FASTENED UNDERNEATH.
A REAR MASTER CYLINDER WAS BOLTED TO THE RIGHT HAND FRAME TUBE AND CONNECTED TO THE REAR CALLIPER BY A RUBBER HYDRAULIC PIPE. THIS PIPE RAN THROUGH A SMALL METAL LOOP ON THE SWING ARM AND WAS PROTECTED BY A RUBBER GROMMET.
THE REAR BRAKE PEDAL AND RETURN SPRING WERE MODIFIED FROM THE STANDARD Z900 ITEM TO ACCEPT A METAL PUSH ROD WHICH ACTIVATED THE PISTON IN THE MASTER CYLINDER. THE ROD WAS CONNECTED TO THE BRAKE PEDAL BY A SHOULDERED 8MM BOLT AND CASTLE NUT.
THE MASTER CYLINDER WAS SIMILAR TO THE FRONT ONE USING A METAL SCREW ON CAP TO ENABLE ACCESS TO THE FLUID RESERVOIR.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Jan 2007 19:48 #108866 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
Patton wrote:

MAS76KZ wrote:

... I thought about converting to disc on rear if its not too tuff to do!

Careful what you wish for ...

Ma Kaw first went from drum to disk rear brake on the 1976 KZ900LTD.

Am respectfully submitting the following blurb as food for thought regarding change in rear brake style which might possibly save you some time and money.

[Please forgive caps as this was copied and pasted.]

INSTEAD OF THE PREVIOUS DRUM BRAKE, THE LTD WAS FITTED WITH A REAR DISK BRAKE. THIS WAS MORE OF A COSMETIC CHANGE THAN FUNCTIONAL, BECAUSE THE OLD DRUM WAS MUCH BETTER. HOWEVER, FASHION DICTATED THE CHANGE.
A 277 MM DISK PLATE WAS BOLTED TO THE REAR MORRIS WHEEL VIA AN ADAPTER PLATE AND FOUR 10MM BOLTS. TWO TAB WASHERS SECURED THESE BOLTS IN POSITION.
A SINGLE PISTON CALLIPER WAS FITTED ONTO A HOLDER PLATE WHICH THE REAR AXLE RAN THROUGH. A CHROME TORQUE ARM RAN FROM THE CALLIPER BRACKET DOWN TO THE REAR SWINGING ARM WHERE IT WAS SECURED AT EACH END BY A 12 MM BOLT. THIS TORQUE ARM WAS NOW FASTENED ON TOP OF THE SWING ARM UNLIKE PREVIOUS DRUM BRAKE MODELS WHICH WERE FASTENED UNDERNEATH.
A REAR MASTER CYLINDER WAS BOLTED TO THE RIGHT HAND FRAME TUBE AND CONNECTED TO THE REAR CALLIPER BY A RUBBER HYDRAULIC PIPE. THIS PIPE RAN THROUGH A SMALL METAL LOOP ON THE SWING ARM AND WAS PROTECTED BY A RUBBER GROMMET.
THE REAR BRAKE PEDAL AND RETURN SPRING WERE MODIFIED FROM THE STANDARD Z900 ITEM TO ACCEPT A METAL PUSH ROD WHICH ACTIVATED THE PISTON IN THE MASTER CYLINDER. THE ROD WAS CONNECTED TO THE BRAKE PEDAL BY A SHOULDERED 8MM BOLT AND CASTLE NUT.
THE MASTER CYLINDER WAS SIMILAR TO THE FRONT ONE USING A METAL SCREW ON CAP TO ENABLE ACCESS TO THE FLUID RESERVOIR.

drum brake was better?:blink: :S :sick: :woohoo: ive had both and id put my money on a good disc brake any day!i dont use back brake much but when i do its nice to have some stopping power! ive got a few nice sets of stock disc brake wire wheels laing around if you cant find a set;)
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2007 02:10 #108893 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
I don't know what you paid for the bike but it would bring a nice price with the wheels on it now.
I think i would leave it like it is is case some one fell in love with it and offered you the bucks it is worth.
If you use a disk brake rear wheel you will have to add a bracket for the rear cylinder amd change out swingarms.
I have seen a lot of KZ and A4 bikes turned into LTD wanna be's and it just takes away from thier value.
Just my $.02 worth.

Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
30 Jan 2007 07:36 #109138 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
To add to what Roy said, the rear master cylinder needs to be tack welded to the frame downtube above the swingarm pivot where the battery crossmember is located. Once you have a mount welded in place and bolt a master cyinder up, you will also need the OEM rear caliper torsion bar as it is thicking than the drum brake. It can go on the OEM mounts. Most of the OEM wheels will be 16" rather than 18". You will need to modify the battery box so the battery can slide out from on top rather than from the side as the rear master cylinder will be in the way. It isn't terribly difficult but some work needs to be done to make the rear disk work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Jan 2007 16:29 #109230 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
Or, I'll would consider swapping you a set of mag wheels and a four into one header for the stock set of exhaust with brackets if i knew where you lived.;)

If they look as good as the bike i will even throw in the swingarm and and stay rod.;) Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
30 Jan 2007 18:15 #109257 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 76 KZ 900 A4 wheels
MAS76KZ wrote:

... Both the front and back wheels have a flat spot on the rim from sitting 20 years on flat tires.

Doesn't mean it isn't so, but never heard of flat spots on rims because of sitting on flat tires. Would think more in terms of having hit a pothole or curb while riding.

But if the rims are otherwise in good condition, might consider having them straightened and laced by checking out the following site:

store.eastcoastwheels.com/

Also, believe the stock '76KZ900 was final year for the famous factory equipped 4 into 4 Z1 type exhaust system.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD