Fork Seal Replacement

More
20 Aug 2006 20:27 #71220 by markmeinteil
Replied by markmeinteil on topic Fork Seal Replacement
I'll try to post a pic of the fork cap:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2006 20:53 #71236 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Fork Seal Replacement
Thanks monk, I see what you mean now, though im not going to touch my forks for a while unless something happens to them ;)

Markmeinteil, as soon as I get my camera back ill up some pics of how my top looks like. Seems like a pain to get at but maybe easier with my forks on the bike.

Here is another illustration on how I removed my forks and changed the seal.

From start to finish, the process took me several hours. Mostly because I was unsure of lots of different things, couple of bolts seemed to be on pretty tight and I was cautious about wrenching them too hard. After I broke the first couple with a breaker bar, I gained confidence and was able to loosen all of em ;)

Made a couple of trips to the store, scratched my head about how I would remove the seal and how to put things back together with oil in them etc, came back here to post about my confusion on filling the forks with oil again..

As soon as I figured out the first fork and it was back on the bike with oil in it, I got the second one off of the bike and done in ten minutes. I didnt need any special tools really and can almost say I would be able to do the procedure again in about an hour or less, with the upper forks remaining attached to my bike.

The way I did things certainly didnt seem to be conventional, but unless someone calls me out on something i've done thats going to cause great damage to my forks and myself, I think im good to go :) At the very least, im glad oil isnt bubbling out of the top of my fork seal after every bump in the road.

Post edited by: Robjb84, at: 2006/08/20 23:55

More
06 Sep 2006 21:03 #75011 by KZDon
Replied by KZDon on topic Fork Seal Replacement
steell wrote:

Mcdroid wrote:

KZDon wrote:

To avoid the problem of the inner tube spinning while trying to loosen the bottom bolt, and not having air tools, I use an impact driver, clamp the inner tube in a black and decker workmate, and have someone pull on the outer tube to put some tension in between the inner and outer tubes

How do you clamp the inner tube with a B&D workmate?...it is on the inside of and at the bottom of the outer fork tube.:huh: :huh:<br><br>Post edited by: Mcdroid, at: 2006/08/20 15:51

I think he means the top inner tube, you know, the one that gets rust pits and eats seals :(

Sorry fellers - I meant to write clamp the outer tube - ever so helpful wife pulls fork slider (inner) tube as hard as she can with foot on the workmate, so there is plenty of tension at the bottom bolt. One shot with the impact driver seems to do the job.

Does that make more sense?

Midland, Ontario, Great White North

2004 650 V-Strom
farewell to 81 KZ550A2 - 82 GS750T - 83 GPz750 - R-Reg GT380 - 76 DT175 - 84 GPz550