What rear shocks do you have?

More
04 Nov 2005 18:29 #6561 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic What rear shocks do you have?
I was looking at some ZRX shocks as well, until I read a roadtest in Bike magazine, they're supposed to be pretty disappointing even though they look the deal. Does anyone have experience with those. They're KYB I believe.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2005 18:41 #6563 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic What rear shocks do you have?
I put a set of KYB's off of a ZRX on my Z1R, about an inch longer than stock and stiffer spinging, but with the ajustable rebound and comperssion they ride and work MUCH better on the track. The extra inch keeps the hard parts from dragging so far. :) The ZRX and my bike are very close in weight so they worked out well. I did have to trim a little off the chain guard and shimmed the lower mounts a couple of washers thick to clear the chain and the brake stay. Seems to aways be a set for sale over at the ZRX board,they seem to go for $100 to $200 a set. By the way they are rebuildable, maybe not the best shock out there, but worlds better than the ones the Z1's and KZ's came with!! I also preloaded the forks an inch to get the sag right.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
04 Nov 2005 18:43 #6564 by dutchz
Thanks Z1R! Will keep an eye out after all. You know what the stock length is eye to eye?

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
04 Nov 2005 19:00 #6574 by Z1R rider
They'er 14", they've got a preload ajusting collar "collar" that I removed to get the sag right, with the collar "collar" gone the the ajusting collar rides on cast in bumps for the ajuster. Mine were off an 2002 if I remember right. Do you race or do track days?

ps: they even ride smoother on sharp bumps

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
05 Nov 2005 10:25 #6666 by DanVVArider
Replied by DanVVArider on topic What rear shocks do you have?
The good and bad of Sporty shocks? Here ya go...

The good--they look better than KZs (a bit slimmer) and the lengths work, both 13 1/2 inchers for the taller guys and 11 1/2 inchers for those of us who want to lower the KZ's ass end...they're cheap on eBay and usually have very little wear...the 11 1/2s are stock on Huggers, which are usually ridden by lighter-weighted folks who are also light enough in the attic to spend the high price of Progressives for what amounts to a half an inch difference...

The bad--there are a lot more "full length" 13 1/2s out there than there are Hugger takeoffs (and here I mean everywhere, not just eBay)...some folks think these things are actually worth a high asking price (again outside of eBay) simply because they're HDs and, after all, to them this is an upgrade on your part...the stock bushings don't fit, but Progressive has bushings that will fit (these were at one time included as part of the kit--along with bushings for other makes, so maybe you can grab a set of one of these folks who replaced Hugger stockers with Progressives)...

Look around the archives...this question pops up like twice a year, and previous replies might tell you more than we have here. There's also a trick in the archives about removing and replacing the bushings, too.

"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

More
05 Nov 2005 12:14 #6674 by dutchz
Z1R, Thanks for the ZRX shock info. Nope, not racing but planning on going to a trackday sometime next year after the topend refresh and a suspension upgrade.
I didn't quite understand all of your reply. I can see taking the collar out to get the right amount of sag, but what does the following mean:

" with the collar "collar" gone the the ajusting collar rides on cast in bumps for the ajuster."

You lost me there...

DanVVArider, I did search the old forum but couldn't find a whole lot besides the 'cheap sportster shock off ebay'. Maybe I didn't use the right keywords... I am looking for a good shock, preferably with adjustable dampening as well, like the Konis or ZRX shocks. Thanks for the sportster info, I am actually looking for some 11 1/2 shocks for my wife because her 650 stands a little tall for her.

1974 Kawasaki Z1

• Z1R rider
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2005 13:49 #6680 by Z1R rider
around the shock body is a collar that anchors to the shock body that has lugs that the prelaod collar anchors on, with the first collar's (in between the shock body and the preload ajuster)lugs ground off the preload ajuster now rides on the same lugs as the center collar. The new highest ajustment is about = to the old lowest ajustment, so it depends on your weight and your bikes weight if you need to remove the center collar's lugs. Once you remove the lugs from the center collar now has nothing to hold it in place, I just put a big o-ring under it to hold up the center collar. I'm 160 lb and could only get 1/4" of sag with the stock springs and everything intact on the lowest setting, now I'm one notch from lowest and 1" sag. Kinda hard to explain, but easy to figure out when you see one.

More
06 Nov 2005 22:01 #6908 by DanVVArider
Replied by DanVVArider on topic What rear shocks do you have?
Well, you can't beat eBay for affordable Sporty shocks, and you really can't beat Sporties for looks and stiffness to offset usage and weight changes, but if you want them within a few days, and you want them to go right on (no bushings problems), send the stockers to Sons of Thunder Metric Cycles and Pete will cut them to order, polish them up right pretty, and ship them home for like $70.

And he does it in like three days.

Post edited by: DanVVArider, at: 2005/11/07 01:05

"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

More
07 Nov 2005 15:09 #7039 by Old-Skul
Replied by Old-Skul on topic What rear shocks do you have?
Progressive Suspension shocks are reasonably priced and you can get whatever length you like. The catalog lists a "stock" alternative that will be very close to the stock shocks, but you can order them in other lengths as well. I've got PS shocks on my 650 and they have done well with lot's of street riding and a number of track days.

If you can afford it ~$1000/pair order a set of Ohlins. Fully adjustable, and just about perfect!

More
07 Nov 2005 15:40 #7047 by dutchz
Nah, Ohlins suck;) I wish... I am building this cafe on a budget. I do not mean cheap, but a little at a time. I really enjoy fabbing up stuff instead of buying 300 dollar parts.
Good shocks are definitely worth some money, along with tires it's what keeps you on the road, so I'm not going to scrimp, but $1000... That's another KZ!

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
07 Nov 2005 16:19 #7055 by kz10cubed
Replied by kz10cubed on topic What rear shocks do you have?
If you are interested in Works shocks, Ebay has about 8 pair for sale right now. They are made for a Harley, but they have the correct eye to eye (13.5"). You would have to change the bushings. Go to parts and type in works shocks. Has anyone tried these?

More
07 Nov 2005 19:23 #7094 by dutchz
Thanks for the heads up KZ10cubed...

1974 Kawasaki Z1