Does my bike have stock or aftermarket fork springs?

More
14 Apr 2020 21:39 #823399 by ob1jeeper

hardrockminer wrote:

TexasKZ wrote:
+1
Springs that old are done. Progressive, Sonic or Race Tech replacements will make a huge improvement.

I don't agree with that statement TexasKZ. As long as a spring has not been strained to the point of deformation it will continue to perform correctly. That's why the standard test is to measure the length and compare to a standard. Just because they're old is no reason for them to be changed out.

Springs are not designed independantly. They are selected to suit the fork damping, along with the mass being moved. Changing springs will change those relationships and could result in an unstable ride at certain speeds.

If riding conditions are different than those used during design there may be more suitable springs out there. It's hard to know what the design conditions were, but likely average rider on average roads. Someone wanting to ride more aggressively would definitely benefit from more suitable springs, but otherwise the original ones will be just fine as long as they have not been deformed.

Agreed. Spent a career in vehicle (automotive) suspension design, test, & development, and agree with your observations. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2020 02:55 #823411 by Kidkawie
I just replaced the original fork springs on my Z1b. They were about 3mm over spec in length. I went with Racetech two spring rates higher.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.