Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 03 Apr 2018 15:34 #781239

• Z1Driver
  • Z1Driver's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55
Amazingly Ed, I came up with an almost identical set up. Then I thought perhaps my invention would displace too much oil. So now what I'm thinking is making a vacuum hose the correct length and use a Mity Vac to suck the oil level to the correct level. This would mean of course and over fill to start with. Another friend suggested going to a Junk Yard and picking a long engine oil or transmission oil dip stick. Still trying to figure that one out. I like the idea of using a washer to keep the what ever from going down the tube. The 60000 was a typo, I meant 6000 miles.

The FSM for my C14 doesn't suggest changing fork oil. I had it do when she went in for a valve adjust and some other things I wanted done. The service manager said the only time they had heard of changing the fork oil on a C14 was when it had a seal leak.

I also know the old forks can have some pretty nasty looking fork oil where as I was told the fork oil in the 14 was still pretty clean.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Z1Driver.

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 03 Apr 2018 15:56 #781241

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Suzuki sells a neat tool for setting the level of your fork oil. You overfill the fork leg slightly, insert tool set at the prescribed oil level, and suck the excess oil out!!! Quick and easy way of setting your fork oil level. Fork leg should be perpendicular to the ground for a super accurate measurement.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Z1Driver

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 03 Apr 2018 17:16 #781245

• Z1Driver
  • User
Looks like Pro Motion and a couple of others make something very similar for less than $20.00. I think my trying to figure it out has ended. Thanks Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 20 Apr 2018 17:10 #782093

• Z1Driver
  • User
OK I give up...what size socket is used to hold the nut on the inside so the Allen bolt can be removed? Forks are off. oil dumped out. Now trying to finish disassembly. I've tried everything from 12 to 19 with no joy. I can see the darn nut but nothing seems to want to fit.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 20 Apr 2018 17:45 #782096

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
You need a 19 nut and have to fabricate some slots in to the nut plus some work on the lathe!!!

Here some pics

Source: www.forum.z-club-germany.de/viewtopic.php?t=845

Michael
Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 24 Apr 2018 22:05 #782327

• Z1Driver
  • User
An update. I got the forks apart. I attempted to build a socket but that turned out to be A Lot of work without a mill or lath. I went to Walmart and got one of the sockets that fit all. Walmart calls them a Gator Grip. These are the sockets seen on TV that had the rods that move leaving only those used to turn the nut or whatever. Put the Gator Grip on a long extension and turned the bottom Allen screw/bolt in or out. The Gator grip comes with a very high quality ratchet which I figure will break if too much torque is applied. I also don’t see the Gator Grip replacing any of my sockets for any kind of real work.
Now cleaning the parts up. One question however. I noticed it appears there is a fiber washer which was under the Allen head bolt. I have in my hot little hand the OEM type washer/seal which is made of copper. So should I remove the fiber washer or is that part of the fork? Or just stick the copper washer over it? I need to get this bike on the street so I can do some work on the other bike.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 24 Apr 2018 22:17 #782328

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
This should answer your question.

Attachments:

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 24 Apr 2018 22:21 #782329

• Z1Driver
  • User
And it did. Thanks.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 25 Apr 2018 07:52 #782347

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
I loosen the allen bolt while assembled. One good smack with a rubber mallet on the wrench breaks them free.
Steve

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 26 Apr 2018 03:19 #782392

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 26 Apr 2018 10:36 #782423

• Z1Driver
  • User
Davido, yeah too late. BUT I knew of the idea behind the seal doctor and watched some utube vids on the subject. I found some suitable plastic and cut out a seal tool in shape like what was shown. Beveled the edges with sand paper and was quite pleased with myself when finished. I released the wire clip and washer under the clip to gain better access to the seal. I found the seal was too hard to get the tool between the seal and the fork tube. This meant the only recourse to fix the seal leak was to replace the seal. Probably the biggest thing was I found water had gotten into the top of the seal and made a mess of things. The wire clip and washer needed a bit of cleaning up to be presentable again. This is now area I will had to keep an eye one. The other side did not have water intrusion and was not leaking either. I forget the name of the rubber boots that fit over the seals and supposed to keep things out of the seal but I have some new boots to go along with the new seals. Tim

Another update: Got the old seals out. What a pain. These seals were like they were welded in and the guy who did the seals for me last time got cussed. I can't say for sure yet but I think he used a sealant in the seals when installed. Now that the seals are out I'm going to clean every ting with brake cleaner and put it back together. I have new progressive rate springs to go in and then Kawasaki fork seals. The old seals were bought off ebay before I was aware of some great parts places.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Do you HAVE to take apart the fork to change seal? 06 May 2018 18:09 #782982

• Z1Driver
  • User
Final update because the 900 is back on the road. No leaks in the front forks. New rubber all the way around and new fork springs. The springs are progressive and did not require spacers for pre load on this particular motorcycle. I called the company because I wanted clarification on the amount of fork oil. They recommended I fill fork oil to the FSM specification's which I did. Over all I am pleased with the way the bike running and handling. Next on the agenda is clean, lube, adjust the chain and a oil/filter change.

So in 6,000miles I get to change the fork oil again. I think I will measure the amount coming out and replace with the same Should be close enough for government work. A big thank you to all those who helped me along the way. Keep the rubber side down, Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14