Cleaning calipers

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
31 Jul 2016 17:49 #736854 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Cleaning calipers
Do Not get your fingers or your skin between piston and caliper or you will understand the " Oh No" sound sucks... Its best to wrap inside with a couple rags and wear safety glasses because that piston will come out like a bullet and its best to protect your parts

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2016 22:47 #736897 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cleaning calipers

loudhvx wrote: If it's not brake fluid, it's most likely fork oil. You will want to use something to get the oil off of the calipers since fork oil (similar/same as motor oil) will be bad for the seals. If you can get the oil off with dish detergent, that might be safer than brake cleaner. But definitely use some decent solvent on the rotors to get them squeaky clean. If the pads got oil on them, they might be no good now, or will at least be degraded.

You will want to fix the fork leak, or you will be going through all of this again.

I have cleaned brake shoes and pads that were oiled up by soaking them with charcoal lighter fluid and burning it off. The oil comes to the surface and you can cut it off with sandpaper. It actually works.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Aug 2016 06:50 #736937 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cleaning calipers

bountyhunter wrote:

loudhvx wrote: If it's not brake fluid, it's most likely fork oil. You will want to use something to get the oil off of the calipers since fork oil (similar/same as motor oil) will be bad for the seals. If you can get the oil off with dish detergent, that might be safer than brake cleaner. But definitely use some decent solvent on the rotors to get them squeaky clean. If the pads got oil on them, they might be no good now, or will at least be degraded.

You will want to fix the fork leak, or you will be going through all of this again.

I have cleaned brake shoes and pads that were oiled up by soaking them with charcoal lighter fluid and burning it off. The oil comes to the surface and you can cut it off with sandpaper. It actually works.

Yeah I've done that as well, using electrical cleaner and brake cleaner and scrubbing. I just wasn't convinced it stopped as well as new pads.

More
02 Aug 2016 17:13 #737147 by stokes
Replied by stokes on topic Cleaning calipers
Okay its definately not brake fluid,and now I'm pretty sure its not fork oil.I changed the fork oil today and it seems the right amount drained out,didnt measure but it looked to be most of 5-6 oz that came out.There was no sign of any drip from the fork seals before I changed the pads and fork oil,so if it was the fork oil in the caliper the fork should have been empty seeing as how much oil was in the caliper.I dunno,its a mystery.Just keep my eye on it.

1980 KZ1000B Ltd

More
03 Aug 2016 07:04 - 03 Aug 2016 07:26 #737192 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Cleaning calipers
5 or 6 oz? Is that a rough guess or what the clymer manual says. I could be wrong, but that sounds low to me.
The capacity of my 81 650 is 270 cc (~9 oz) when doing an oil change. 291 cc dry.
I would guess your 1000 has a higher capacity than a 650, by at least 1 or 2 oz. but again, I could be wrong.
There's also a fork oil measurement that can be performed & the procedure varies by model.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 07:26 by martin_csr.

More
03 Aug 2016 14:40 #737277 by stokes
Replied by stokes on topic Cleaning calipers
Clymer manual gives 2 different amounts,theres a chart that says 6.2 oz of 10wt and in the text explaining the procedure it says 5.4 oz.of 15wt.I put in a little under 6 and called it a day.

1980 KZ1000B Ltd