floppy kickstand

More
12 Nov 2015 07:22 - 12 Nov 2015 07:24 #698343 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic floppy kickstand

mattblowers wrote: Dr. Zed: I put a blue pill in the gas tank, but that didn't seem to help. ;)

On a serious note, dang, I was hoping it was something more simple, like a plastic bushing that wears and falls out over time. As the kickstand isn't covered in the service manual that I could find I was hoping you guys had some good news. It's floppy enough I don't even want to take it around the block if I can get it fired up this weekend. kickstand caused high sides are no fun: I don't heal as quick as I used to.

Thanks for help guys. I'll get in there and see what I find.

My kickstand was loose and I fixed the problem with brass shim washers that I made myself. Both bolts on which the kickstand pivots were loose (KZ1000-p7). First I used feeler gauges to determine the gaps causing the stand to be loose. Then I went to the hardware store and bought brass shim stock matching the gaps as close as I could. I pressed the brass between two pieces of wood, clamped it to my little drill press, and drilled holes to match the bolt diameter. I then used a standard washer, placed over the hole I just drilled to set the outer circumference of the brass washer, Finally I cut the outer circumference with tin snips. They were not perfectly round, nor were the inner holes centered perfectly, but they worked. They have been in there for two riding seasons and have not yet loosened up.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 07:24 by jakedude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 02:08 #698417 by mattblowers
Replied by mattblowers on topic floppy kickstand
Thanks guys, I got it. Got a correctly sized spring and some tightened it a bit, it will hold for now. Some play, but that can wait, more pressing problems at the moment.

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
13 Nov 2015 07:42 #698475 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic floppy kickstand
I took mine and milled plate metal to the thicknes of the frame boss and heated it a little and pressed it back together then chased the threads and put a new bolt and lock nut and BAM!! good as new and its been 2 years now and good.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd