Tire balance 2 oz out!

More
01 May 2014 16:50 #631065 by kzz1king
Tire balance 2 oz out! was created by kzz1king
Put a new rear tire on,Shinko 777. I have 2oz's on it to get close to balance. I should would have checked the rim first. Anyone else run into this much error on balance?
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 May 2014 18:46 - 01 May 2014 18:47 #631073 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Tire balance 2 oz out!
No I have not had a bike tire/ wheel that far out. I have that Shinko 777 on my Concours, and .5oz.
Try breaking it again, turning it on the rim. Also make sure the beads are fully seated and even.
Is this a Mag or Spoke wheel? If spoke, and rim lock mounted?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 01 May 2014 18:47 by Motor Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
01 May 2014 18:59 #631079 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Tire balance 2 oz out!
I had a problem like that a while back. I ended up turning the tire on the rim until the balance was much better. I think the "dot" was applied in the wrong place. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 May 2014 19:22 #631084 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Tire balance 2 oz out!
I broke the beads and turned tire 180, that just moved the heavy spot 180! Moved it some more and wasable to take alittle weight off. These are mags..
Wayne

More
02 May 2014 06:26 #631115 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Tire balance 2 oz out!
650ed, I think he may have the dot in the wrong place. Where should it be located?

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
02 May 2014 08:14 - 02 May 2014 08:25 #631119 by 650ed

koolaid_kid wrote: 650ed, I think he may have the dot in the wrong place. Where should it be located?

Here are the instructions I received from Pirelli when I asked that same question about balancing their tires. Ed

Hello
WHEEL BALANCING
Always balance each tire and wheel assembly upon installation. Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can vibrate at various speeds, resulting in accelerated tire wear. Pirelli Street / dual purpose tires should be installed with the sidewall red dot(s) at the air valve if present. However these red dot(s) are designed to be used as a reference in balancing and we suggest balancing the tire and wheel as an assembly and to use the least amount of weight possible. This means that moving the reds dots 45 or even 90 degrees from the valve stem to help the assembly use less weight is possible and best.
Pirelli does not recommend the use of liquid balancer, liquid balance/sealers, or any other balance materials. Pirelli will not extend any warranty consideration for tires which have been injected with any type of liquid balancer, liquid balance/sealers, or any other balance materials. Tire and wheel assemblies should be balanced on a computer or static balance stand. Please check with your dealer/wheel manufacturer for the correct wheel weights for each application.

OTHER MOUNTING TIPS
(1) Check for directional arrow on tire. If present, mount tire so that arrow points in direction of rotation.
(2) Mount tire on rim with the valve stem beside the red(s) dot. If red(s) dot is not marked on the sidewall of the tire (indicating the lightest point) the tire may be positioned at any point on the rim.
(3) Clean and lubricate bead with tire mounting lubricant or soapy water. Always clean rim of all foreign matter. To seat bead, remove valve stem core and inflate tire.
(4) Do not inflate to more than 40 psi pressure to seat beads. Check bead control lines for proper seating. Never stand, lean or reach over the assembly during inflation as serious injury could result. Reinstall valve stem core and inflate to the recommended running pressure.
(5) Tubeless tires suitable for assembly with a tube on a tube-type rim may be used on tube or tubeless rims but not for applications that exceed 120 mph. When installing a tube in a tubeless tire do not tighten valve system lock nut until it is seated and inflated to proper riding pressure.
(6) Whenever you install a tube, care should be taken not to pinch the tube. Always dust the tube with talcum powder.
(7) When fitting a new TL (tubeless) tire a new valve should be used for safety reasons. Under acceleration and braking as well in during continuous riding at elevated speeds the centrifugal forces can cause a rubber valve stem to bend. Because of this a short rubber or even better a metal valve stem should installed in the wheel. Please consult with the dealer or wheel manufacturer for the correct valve stem. The correct short valve core should be used in these applications. Short valve cores have a higher preload than the long ones.
(8) Always use a valve cap that features a rubber seal to help prevent air loss.
(9) Always balance the tire and wheel after installing a new tire.
(10) During use do not exceed the max. load rating and max. pressure as indicated on the tire’s sidewall.
(11) When installing tire onto motorcycle be sure to check clearances. Tire width and diameter of indicated size vary between brands and types.
(12) These tires are for use only on vehicles for which "motorcycle tires" were originally specified by the manufacturer. Any other use could be dangerous and unsafe.

Safety Warning: Bodily Injury, including death, and damage to the motorcycle may result from improper use. Always follow the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

North America Pirelli Moto
800 747-3554
www.us.pirellimoto.com

Last edit: 02 May 2014 08:25 by 650ed.

More
02 May 2014 16:21 #631149 by kzz1king
Not my first rodeo! :P The dot was installed at valve (tubes). Took 2 oz. Then I rotated it 180 so the dot was across fro valve core. Still took 2 oz. I then moved the dot about 90 degrees off the valve core and cut the weight to under 1.5 ounces. Tire has a heavy spot I guess.
Wayne

More
02 May 2014 17:46 #631156 by kzz1king
Well I thought I could make it with less than 2 but it didnt happen. Wheel looks like poo with that much on em. Going to go with dyna beads or run without till tire is shot.

kzz1king wrote: Not my first rodeo! :P The dot was installed at valve (tubes). Took 2 oz. Then I rotated it 180 so the dot was across fro valve core. Still took 2 oz. I then moved the dot about 90 degrees off the valve core and cut the weight to under 1.5 ounces. Tire has a heavy spot I guess.

Wayne

More
02 May 2014 17:52 #631157 by 650ed

kzz1king wrote: Well I thought I could make it with less than 2 but it didnt happen. Wheel looks like poo with that much on em. Going to go with dyna beads or run without till tire is shot.

kzz1king wrote: Not my first rodeo! :P The dot was installed at valve (tubes). Took 2 oz. Then I rotated it 180 so the dot was across fro valve core. Still took 2 oz. I then moved the dot about 90 degrees off the valve core and cut the weight to under 1.5 ounces. Tire has a heavy spot I guess.

Wayne

I would contact the dealer that sold the tire to you and check on the tire maker's policy on out of balance tires. Good tire manufacturers normally will stand behind their products and will replace a tire if it is that far out of balance. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
02 May 2014 19:21 #631163 by kzz1king
I should Ed but then I have to remove ,spend time on a computer or phone punching in numbers. I have about $ 80 invested. It is a Shinko 777. I have heard nothing but good about them. Have Shinkos of a different type on my Concours and they have been good.

Wayne

More
03 May 2014 11:51 #631206 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tire balance 2 oz out!

650ed wrote:

kzz1king wrote: Well I thought I could make it with less than 2 but it didnt happen. Wheel looks like poo with that much on em. Going to go with dyna beads or run without till tire is shot.

Wayne

I would contact the dealer that sold the tire to you and check on the tire maker's policy on out of balance tires. Good tire manufacturers normally will stand behind their products and will replace a tire if it is that far out of balance. Ed

+1 Tires that take a lot of weight to balance are usually out of round or just not right. Even when balanced, they don't run smooth. I remember a set of car tires I got way back when that I had balanced that took too much weight and they shook like hell at 70 - 80 mph. I went back to the shop and they took the wheels off one by one and spun them up on this machine and lathed the tread face to true it up (shaved rubber off until it was true). After that they took very little weight to balance and ran dead smooth up to 120 mph.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 May 2014 12:59 #631212 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Tire balance 2 oz out!
kzz1king, we are just trying to drill down to the root of the issue. Since you have done everything correctly, the only other answer is an anomaly, a severely out of balance tire. It can happen from time to time. Personally, I would request a replacement.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.