Time for fresh tires , what's your sugestion ?

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Jul 2013 23:27 #596858 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Time for fresh tires , what's your sugestion ?

trianglelaguna wrote: I had a small tear on my rear tire ,i noticed it a week or two ago...then saw it again after my last ride...very faint,,,by a tread line on each side of the chicken strips and not on the middle...and called Avon...after some calling around to check where i had bought them (J&P cycles said 120 days)and getting nowhere,Avon north America offered to stand behind the tire..I had put it on last july...and maybe have 3000 miles ...maybe.....this was 6 days or so ago and today the tire is at my door...I may mount it before bike week...I may not...they want me to ship the tire in question back to them (they provide a shipping tag)so they can look at it and have their tech guys find out what made it fail...I am happy with the co. for doing this replacement and asked them if they have had any issues with the roadrider mt/90/16/v...he said once in while you get a weird tire...and they will do a follow up...

pictures of the tire and the questionable spot when i get the bike on the bench

Glad to hear Avon treated you like they care :laugh:
I have Avons on my Ultra and love them and plan on putting a set on my Kaw this winter

Ride On Bro
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Jul 2013 23:32 #596859 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Time for fresh tires , what's your sugestion ?
For the price, I've been running Shinko's and like the 712 and 777, wasn't in favor of the Touring one. Mileage is about what I got from 3 other brands, like the Dunlop 404. So I think mileage depends a lot on rider and machine. Guys who get 10K on a tire, well that's not me for sure. More like 4K, but I run with a rear rack and box all the time. Then side cases on trips, tent swag, tools etc. Run 65-75 on the open road, so not a high speed issue, more weight I think.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• bluej58
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
16 Jul 2013 23:47 - 16 Jul 2013 23:54 #596867 by bluej58

roy-b-boy-b wrote: If it is not been mentioned, check the dates on tires when you buy them. The ZRX I bought had new tires that were seven years old. Brand new tires !!!

I checked the dates and they are from around the middle last year .

My sons Michelin's are very fresh, made this year and bought through Motor cycle super store.

Like I said, I'm liking these Avon's a lot more now that I have a couple G's on them.

They went on very easily too,
unlike the Michelin's :sick:

I'm going to keep an eye out for cracks, thanks for the heads up Tri
if you could post a picture I would appreciate it.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 16 Jul 2013 23:54 by bluej58.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 Jul 2013 12:41 #596929 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Time for fresh tires , what's your sugestion ?
before i bought this last set...I had called avon to try and locate a supplier with fresh skins...after reading about born on dates on here...they said J&P cycles moves a ton of tires and would be a good bet........my tires were fresh... there is a code that reads the numerical week and year...mine were installed in 28th-2012 by me... and the date was 33-11 on the tire so close enough...the reason i had called was i had some early for my likes,cracking on the sidewall once before on a rear and wanted the newest rubber i could find...when this last tire had a problem...and J&P said it was out of their service recall range...Avon worked with me.....i may take pics this afternoon when/if i work on the bike....

I was told by a rep for Avon at a race/ride/event to never use tire shine products....he said they can get spun up on the chicken strips....my question was about the cracking to which he just sidestepped and mentioned the spin up....their were folks standing there so i did not press the issue....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 Jul 2013 13:08 #596933 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Time for fresh tires , what's your sugestion ?
center shot..left side...right side...and new tire they sent me...
I had seen a hairline mark at a stop one day...and then noticed it had appeared on both sides..it worried me so I called to see if they knew of any trouble with the MT/90/16V roadrider...they sent the new one and want the old one to test for flaws...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58