• Page:

TOPIC:

Front brakes dragging... 29 Jun 2006 15:44 #58131

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
My front brake lever got real hard today. I just barely have to press it and the brakes engage. I also noticed while riding that they were dragging and bogging down the engine. Bogging to the point that I would have to downshift to keep speed. I pulled over and was able to get them to release. Kept going to work and just made sure to only use the rear brake.

My question is what is usually the cause of this? Can I get by just changing my old crusty brake fluid? Do the calipers need rebuilding? I know I need pads, but I don't think that would cause it. We have also had very hot humid weather for the last couple weeks. Is that a possible cause?
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front brakes dragging... 29 Jun 2006 20:19 #58173

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey Saved,
I believe that there'also a valve in the master cylinder that can cause brake dragging. I've had some luck by just changing the fluid.
Good luck.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Front brakes dragging... 29 Jun 2006 21:43 #58192

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Sounds good. I'm probably well overdue for a fluid flush and fill. What's the best method to accomplish this? Does the Clymer manual cover it? I'll have to check when I get home.

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 12:10 #58304

• mikekz900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If you have the round style master cylinder then there are 2 holes. What happens is the one hole is like a pressure relief and it gets clogged over time, I had the same problem with my brakes dragging especially when it got hot outside. You need to take a safety pin or something similar in size and pretty much unclog the hole (try both holes). If you have clean fluid you will see the dirt in the hole start floating around. I know this sounds crazy but it really works. You might have to look really hard for the small hole but trust me it's there.

Mike

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 14:22 #58327

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
mikekz900 wrote:

You might have to look really hard for the small hole but trust me it's there.
Mike

Maybe I'm a perv, but does that sound Dirty?:S

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 15:45 #58349

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Ok, get your minds out of the gutter, hehe ;) Seriously though, thanks for the info on the holes mike. These would be at the bottom of the master cylinder? For example, if I remove the cap and stare straight down I would see them?

To be honest I think my fluid is so crappy I can't look through it. Last time I opened the cap there was a big white glob floating in the middle. :pinch:

Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/06/30 18:45

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 16:31 #58354

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
savedrider wrote:

To be honest I think my fluid is so crappy I can't look through it. Last time I opened the cap there was a big white glob floating in the middle. :pinch:<br><br>Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/06/30 18:45

It's big brother !
Attachments:

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 17:27 #58362

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
ambergrismooon wrote:

savedrider wrote:

To be honest I think my fluid is so crappy I can't look through it. Last time I opened the cap there was a big white glob floating in the middle. :pinch:<br><br>Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/06/30 18:45

It's big brother !

:laugh: :laugh: HEY, how did you get that picture of my master cylinder??? You are Big Brother aren't you??!!;)

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 17:55 #58365

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
savedrider wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: HEY, how did you get that picture of my master cylinder??? You are Big Brother aren't you??!!;)

Attachments:

Front brakes dragging... 30 Jun 2006 21:23 #58419

• wireman
  • Visitor
get a piece of clear rubber hose to go on your bleeder valve run it to an old jar with some brake fluid in the bottem make sure the end of hose stays submerged under brake fluid.start pumping brake lever open bleeder valve you wont have to close valve as long as hose is submerged in fluid,just keep topping off mastercylinder as you start getting clean brakefluid out the hose look in bottem of mastercylinder for trash in bottem clean it out with a rag and top off mastercylinder.if you have dual discs repeat process on other caliper.then do rear brake.i like to use dot5 brake fluid myself and try to flush a little out of system once a year to keep it clean. ;)

Front brakes dragging... 02 Jul 2006 00:27 #58645

• gpzrox
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
New fluid can help, but I bet the master cylinder needs rebuilding. Have the same problem, tore the master cylinder down and cleaned everything up, but only fixed like 75%. I chose a good used one as a base because my original was so bad, may need to put new internals in the good used one just to be safe. I have seen brand new universals on e-bay for fairly inexpensive compared to a new factory one, but they are square if you are worried about the asthetics.

Does the brake lever have alot of free end play -- can you wiggle the end of the lever alot? The piston in the master cylinder is sticking if you can, or the return spring has collapsed.

My clymer did not have diddly on the rebuild.

Good luck!

Louie
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Front brakes dragging... 03 Jul 2006 16:17 #59046

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
gpzrox wrote:

Does the brake lever have alot of free end play -- can you wiggle the end of the lever alot? The piston in the master cylinder is sticking if you can, or the return spring has collapsed.

Thanks for the info. Yes I had a lot of free play in the brake lever since I got the bike. Never really worried about it too much since the brakes seemed to work OK. I may need to go to a univeral master cylinder if a fluid change doesn't help.

I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to work on the brakes. Today riding to work they started dragging bad again. Making the motor bog in 100 degree heat. I had to pull over half way to work, whip out my tool kit and crack to bleeder open to release some fluid. :unsure:

• Page: