2002 Cop Calipers - Twin Piston Upgrade

More
02 Feb 2013 16:27 #570414 by moorepower
2002 Cop Calipers - Twin Piston Upgrade was created by moorepower
Just did some test fitting of my new rear twin piston caliper from a 2002 police bike, and I'm lovin' it. It was a direct bolt-in swap, but I'll need a slightly longer hose to hook it up.

I've got the matching fronts on the way, along with the master cylinder and forks to mount them up.

'81 GPZ1100 mutt, coming out of 10 year hibernation
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Feb 2013 16:51 #570417 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 2002 Cop Calipers - Twin Piston Upgrade
You have my attention! B)
Although I think the twin piston calipers would do more good on the front than rear,when youre getting on the skids really hard your weight is shifting to front of bike making rear wheel really easy to lock up from lack of traction.
I wonder if fronts will be that easy to change over? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Feb 2013 16:54 #570420 by wireman
Heres the fronts B)

Attachment Image_2013-02-02.gif not found

As long as you can use them with the older rotors this could definately open lots of doors braking wise. ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2013 17:24 #570425 by moorepower
Replied by moorepower on topic 2002 Cop Calipers - Twin Piston Upgrade
I know the rotor part numbers are the same between the '02 and my '81 GPZ, so that should be a go. The fork lowers are definitely different, so I got those coming also. I'm just hoping the spacing between the forks is the same. If so, I should be golden.

More
16 Feb 2013 10:59 #572682 by moorepower
I haven't given up on this, just haven't had much time to tinker lately.

I got a 2001 ZR750 rear master cylinder bolted in and a custom line made up, so the rear is basically done. The front is going to require a little bit of machining to fit, though. Apparently the fork spacing on the police bikes is a little wider than my '81 GPZ, so the calipers hang a little farther away from the fork to reach the disc. Once I mill about .200" off the shoulder of the mounting tab, everything should go together nicely. I'll post some pics later to explain exactly what I'm talking about.

The following user(s) said Thank You: fizzer_$tfighter

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Feb 2013 16:01 #572722 by wireman

Attachment 0511_0904_0419_5851_Boy_Enjoying_Popcorn_while_Watching_a_Movie_clipart_image-ee02bb8d3d555abdcaf9f3504927dbce_2013-02-16.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
17 Feb 2013 00:18 #572808 by 78zed
Replied by 78zed on topic 2002 Cop Calipers - Twin Piston Upgrade
Have a look at this website from the UK. www.pretech.co.uk

A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.

• wireman
  • User
More
17 Feb 2013 00:24 #572813 by wireman
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :sick: :woohoo:

More
04 Mar 2013 20:11 #575328 by moorepower
Well, it's official. I'm an idiot. :pinch:

When I checked rotor part numbers, apparently I only checked the rear, because the fronts are indeed different.

I cut down the mounting ears on the forks, put fresh seals and fork oil in them, and bolted everything together. It didn't take long until :huh: "Something doesn't look right."

The pad is only contacting the outer half inch or so of the rotor. After looking at pictures and measurements on the web, it looks like the police rotors are about an inch bigger in diameter. And, even better, they make the extra diameter by enlarging the center hole, so the bigger rotors won't bolt up to my wheel. Aaannndd, best of all, I don't think the hub of the cop front wheel will fit between my forks, because I got the front axle from the cop bike, and it's almost an inch longer than the one from my GPZ. I guess the forks are spaced farther apart and a wider wheel goes between them to make up the difference.

Nevertheless, I will not be defeated. I'm too hard-headed for that! I believe it will be easier to mill up some mounting plates to adapt to my original GPZ forks than to try and use the cop forks.

However, I think I need a break from this project. I think I'll get back to re-assembling my engine, and tackle this little gem a little farther down the line. :(

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Mar 2013 20:41 #575330 by wireman
Are those actually gpz1100 fork legs? B)

More
04 Mar 2013 20:44 #575332 by moorepower
No, what's pictured is the cop fork I was hoping to use to make this basically a bolt-on upgrade. Looks like I won't be that lucky.

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 01:15 #575372 by wireman
Id try the gpz lower legs and see if its closer B)