Metal cleaner

• KZ1000inaus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Luminous Red KZ1000 A2
More
03 Sep 2012 23:06 #546501 by KZ1000inaus
Replied by KZ1000inaus on topic Metal cleaner

o.c.f.rider wrote: Well guy's, I hate to say it but Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish is shit if you have a nice finish to start with. I can say this with a fair amount of authority as I have been in the metal polishing business (for myself) since 1992. The Mother's mentioned above is very abrasive. Mother's "Billet" is MUCH kinder to your polished alloy. I've used Meguires "All Metal Polish" a lot in the past, and it's great stuff. I also keep a tub of "Blue Magic" handy for me own bikes.
As to waxes and such for alloy? A total waste of time, but it makes folks "feel" like they did something worthwhile.
This is me..............
www.theshining.info/
For washing your polished goodies, just hose it off first and then I use regular Car Wash. Dry it off pronto. I use "Viva" paper towels because they're SUPER soft.
If you happen to have screwed your polished stuff to what you think is FUBAR, call me, I can fix it!

Chris

Ive just bought a 1973 Yam DT3 that needs a fair amount of work and I'm wondering what is the best way to sort out the engine casings so i can get them nice and shiny. They are pretty dull and in some places corroded (but only a little).
How would you tackle this sort of job?
Ive heard soda blasting is a good start. I have an industrial compressor. Should I be looking at going down this route?
I intend to complete more restorations so setting something up more permanent might be worth it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• o.c.f.rider
  • User
  • Trying to make a cool Z1!
More
04 Sep 2012 11:54 #546577 by o.c.f.rider
Replied by o.c.f.rider on topic Metal cleaner
Ive just bought a 1973 Yam DT3 that needs a fair amount of work and I'm wondering what is the best way to sort out the engine casings so i can get them nice and shiny. They are pretty dull and in some places corroded (but only a little).
Ive heard soda blasting is a good start. I have an industrial compressor. Should I be looking at going down this route?
I intend to complete more restorations so setting something up more permanent might be worth it.[/quote]
Well, I only do glass-bead & walnut-shell blasting, both of which don't leave a shiny finish on alloy. The glass-bead will leave sort of a "sheen" on the alloy, it'll look very clean and nice, but it will be a bit of a PITA to keep clean. I have a MV 750 America with sand cast cases and the only way to clean it up is either lacquer thinner or mineral spirits. It would be the case with glass-beaded cases also. I haven't seen soda-blasted parts with me own eyes, just pics on the computer, but they look like they might be a tad more "shiny" than glass-beaded stuff.

Chris

Trying to make the world a brighter place...........

www.theshining.info/
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ1000inaus

• o.c.f.rider
  • User
  • Trying to make a cool Z1!
More
04 Sep 2012 11:57 #546579 by o.c.f.rider
Replied by o.c.f.rider on topic Metal cleaner

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Nice Ed B)

As good as your bike looks , I think I will listen ;)

That makes much more sense than listening to someone that's been doing it for a living for the last 20 years! :whistle:

Trying to make the world a brighter place...........

www.theshining.info/

More
05 Sep 2012 00:38 #546744 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic Metal cleaner

KZ1000inaus wrote:

o.c.f.rider wrote: Well guy's, I hate to say it but Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish is shit if you have a nice finish to start with. I can say this with a fair amount of authority as I have been in the metal polishing business (for myself) since 1992. The Mother's mentioned above is very abrasive. Mother's "Billet" is MUCH kinder to your polished alloy. I've used Meguires "All Metal Polish" a lot in the past, and it's great stuff. I also keep a tub of "Blue Magic" handy for me own bikes.
As to waxes and such for alloy? A total waste of time, but it makes folks "feel" like they did something worthwhile.
This is me..............
www.theshining.info/
For washing your polished goodies, just hose it off first and then I use regular Car Wash. Dry it off pronto. I use "Viva" paper towels because they're SUPER soft.
If you happen to have screwed your polished stuff to what you think is FUBAR, call me, I can fix it!

Chris

I intend to complete more restorations so setting something up more permanent might be worth it.

I would look at vapor blasting. I had my kz900 cases and other cast bits done and they look like new. Only two places in the US that I know of that do it. This is who I used www.vaporblasting.biz/