Can't see behind me with my mirrors

More
13 Jun 2006 18:33 #54336 by bluegill
Can't see behind me with my mirrors was created by bluegill
I don't know if it's because I swapped to superbike bars or if it's because of the cheapo mirrors I put on because the bike had none when I got it, but I can't see anything except my arms--not only boring but not very useful.

tinyurl.com/gbmks

Got any tips on mirrors with longer stems? I'm looking at JC Whitney but can't tell that they're much longer than the ones I have. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2006 18:58 #54341 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
bluegill wrote:

Got any tips on mirrors with longer stems?

i've had the same problem. the longest stem mirrors i found are real cheapie ones from dennnis kirk with 10" stems:

www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...008&mmyId=#altImages

i also bought some of these mirror extensions:

www.whaccessories.com/GSGMirrorAdapter.jpg from here:
www.whaccessories.com/Mirrors.htm

More
13 Jun 2006 18:59 #54342 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
d'oh, double post

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/06/13 22:07

More
13 Jun 2006 19:32 #54351 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
I put $10 EMGO plastic rectangular ones on mine. Stems look to be about the same length as yours. I just never liked circular mirrors. View is ok - maybe because rectangular. However I think they would look to cheap for a bike which looks as good as yours.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 Jun 2006 19:41 #54355 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
I have that same problem, not being able to see behind me with mirrors. BUT i am 6'4 265 pounds:woohoo: :lol: :dry: :blush:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
13 Jun 2006 20:00 #54356 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
maybe try the bar end type mirrors.... i know since i went to clubmans, i get mostly my shoulder instead of road.....

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
13 Jun 2006 20:14 #54360 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
lean a little then look! ha-ha!

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
13 Jun 2006 20:14 #54361 by KZJohn
Replied by KZJohn on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
Americanclassix sells aftermarket mirrors that are the same size as the original Z1/KZ mirrors,(15 inch?). The last time I checked they were like $20 or so. I have the original long stem KZ mirrors on my 900 and they work better than the shorty's but they dont look as good. I also have the superbike bars. I do see some of my elbows but only have to dip them a little to see.

More
13 Jun 2006 23:59 #54400 by KitNYC
Replied by KitNYC on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
I messed around with a bunch of different cheapo aftermarket mirrors on my old 440. The only ones I liked were Ken Sean (?) rectangular mirrors that looked kinda like the stockers from a Suzi GS500E. Unfortunately, the left one vibrated apart...

I really wish I had just gotten some decent mirrors to start with instead of wasting a bunch of cash on different cheap ones. Wide angle glass is good, & most of the cheapos are narrow angle.

My Triumph had crap mirrors on when I bought it, & the originals are eighty-freakin'-two bucks *EACH* from a stealer. That fact motivated me to do some research, & I discovered that Buell Lightning mirrors are real close to Triumph Trident mirrors, but slightly longer & black. Pretty much just what I wanted aesthetically, with wide-angle glass, a good view, & left/right reversible for $25 apiece. I mention this because my Triumph, the Buells, & our beloved KZs all use 10mm standard-thread mirrors, so you can use 'em too.

Try 'em, I bet you'll like 'em. Plus, it's fun to walk into the local Harley shop & buy something for your metric bike. :P Bonus points for bringing a wrench & installing 'em on the sidewalk out front. :laugh:

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

Post edited by: KitNYC, at: 2006/06/14 03:01

More
14 Jun 2006 02:09 #54404 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
KitNYC wrote:

The only ones I liked were Ken Sean (?) rectangular mirrors that looked kinda like the stockers from a Suzi GS500E.

Ken Sears, I believe. At least, those are what I have.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
14 Jun 2006 04:46 #54410 by bluegill
Replied by bluegill on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
Those look like what I need. There's a dealership near my house so I'll hit it. Thanks

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
15 Jun 2006 02:59 #54597 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Can't see behind me with my mirrors
I'm a pretty big dude and I got sick of seeing nothing but my shoulders when I looked in the mirrors, so I got some bar-end mirrors. They work great!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"