Insulation?

More
01 Aug 2012 19:36 #540071 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Insulation?
Thats how it started- couple of weekends ago, went on a 200 mile run, it was 95 out, when we stopped for gas, my buddies suzuki's gas tank was bubbling...WTH? I about flipped. He said common on hot days for some bikes....got me to thinking. hot fuel=bad, simple fix gotta be had.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2012 20:20 #540080 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Insulation?
If the fuel system isn't vapor locking, is there really a problem? These bikes have been ridden for a number of years in hot weather with few apparent problems. What about in cooler weather when the cooler fuel won't atomize as well with the insulation in place?

If I were to do some thing like this, I would keep it tight against the bottom side of the tank. It seems like this is sort of like a stocking hat where most of the heat loss from the human body is straight up out of the head. An engine would seem to me to be the same with this insulating layer this close to the top.

Keep making measurements and tracking your results. I find this interesting as it seems to be a problem no one else has really been concerned about in the past.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
01 Aug 2012 20:26 #540084 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Insulation?

Medina wrote: Thats how it started- couple of weekends ago, went on a 200 mile run, it was 95 out, when we stopped for gas, my buddies suzuki's gas tank was bubbling...WTH? I about flipped. He said common on hot days for some bikes....got me to thinking. hot fuel=bad, simple fix gotta be had.

Keep in mind that gasoline boils at a much cooler temperature than water. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Aug 2012 21:52 #540101 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Insulation?

N0NB wrote: I find this interesting as it seems to be a problem no one else has really been concerned about in the past.

Welcome to my world...sometime it pays off, sometimes, not- but I always walk having learned something.
Cooler fuel= MORE fuel into the carbs (if you're old enough, remember how "cool cans" were mandatory.
And keeping the coils cooler was part of this process.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio