Bias Ply Vs. Radial tires Which Ones to use ??

More
30 May 2012 18:50 #525939 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Bias Ply Vs. Radial tires Which Ones to use ??

steell wrote:

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Whatever you do, do NOT mix bias-ply and radial tire types on the same vehicle.

Better fire off a message to Harley Davidson, Victory, and Triumph, (among others) setting them straight then, since they sell new bikes with bias front and radial rear :)

Radial front and bias rear is still a no-no, as far as I have been able to discover.

But I still wouldn't mix them on my bikes :P

I have no heard of this, I'm curious as to why they're doing this. If you're correct, those bikes have been designed from the ground up to work with that mixed tire combination whereas our bikes have not. So, back to my original comment, DO NOT MIX TIRE TYPES.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2012 19:07 #525945 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Bias Ply Vs. Radial tires Which Ones to use ??
Harley rear tires have to be much stronger to prevent failure when they run over the parts falling off the bike..... :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 May 2012 20:02 #525954 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Bias Ply Vs. Radial tires Which Ones to use ??
Like mentioned, rare to impossible to find radials except in wide widths. You sure wouldn't want to run a radial on a 2" wide wheel. KTM 990 Adventure uses radial tires, at least for sure the rear, and they still run tubes from the factory. I can't see why a tube would be a problem, sizing is the problem.
The Harleys :) Yes I laugh, yes I despise them, however they are not all bad I guess. This guy who's a customer of mine rides a 2002 Harley, ugly, noisey, torn seat. I'd rather ride a Vespa scooter, but regardless he has 180,000 miles on this POS. I saw it, he showed me the odometer.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 May 2012 20:26 #525957 by 650ed

RonKZ650 wrote: Like mentioned, rare to impossible to find radials except in wide widths. You sure wouldn't want to run a radial on a 2" wide wheel. KTM 990 Adventure uses radial tires, at least for sure the rear, and they still run tubes from the factory. I can't see why a tube would be a problem, sizing is the problem.
The Harleys :) Yes I laugh, yes I despise them, however they are not all bad I guess. This guy who's a customer of mine rides a 2002 Harley, ugly, noisey, torn seat. I'd rather ride a Vespa scooter, but regardless he has 180,000 miles on this POS. I saw it, he showed me the odometer.

Well it would appear that tubes can be used in radial tires BUT only if they are Radial Tubes and marked as such. Here are some current quotes from tire makers:

From www.bridgestone-firestone.com
Do not install non-radial tubes in radial tires. Insure that the tube marking matches the radial tire marking before installation to rims that require tubes.

From www.dunlopmotorcycle.com
Do not fit tubes in radial motorcycle tires, nor fit radials on rims requiring tubes, unless the tubes bear matching size and radial (R) markings.

From www.maxxis.com
Do not fit tubes in radial motorcycle tires, nor fit radials on rims requiring tubes, unless the tubes bear matching size and radial (R) markings.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 May 2012 23:10 #525998 by Kraz1
190 Street Shootout Tire, Radial Tubed since 1998.

Attachments:

More
31 May 2012 15:32 #526133 by steell

bountyhunter wrote: Harley rear tires have to be much stronger to prevent failure when they run over the parts falling off the bike..... :laugh:

Guy joined the motorcycle salvage yard mailing list, said he was looking for parts for his Harley. I asked him why he didn't stop and pick them up when they fell off. :laugh:

Disclosure, I actually like some Harley models.

KD9JUR