Fork reconditioning

More
27 Aug 2012 14:05 #545068 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fork reconditioning
The coating is soft plastic. Use commercial paint stripper you can get at any hardware store. The plastic coating comes right off then you wet sand and polish. Comes out great.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 14:20 #545071 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Fork reconditioning

650ed wrote: Has anyone tried powder coating the fork legs with clear or metallic silver? Any idea on how well powder coat would hold up? Ed

I'm looking into getting a pair anodized. That should give a very durable finish.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
27 Aug 2012 15:24 #545086 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Fork reconditioning

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

650ed wrote: Has anyone tried powder coating the fork legs with clear or metallic silver? Any idea on how well powder coat would hold up? Ed

I'm looking into getting a pair anodized. That should give a very durable finish.

TCR Wheels out in CA does forks. Prices on their site, I just sent out some rims to be redone. The price includes polishing.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
27 Aug 2012 15:42 #545090 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Fork reconditioning
Most shops here in Texas use glass bead, looks like fine white powder. Its much harder to hurt aluminum with glass beads. Any tool truck can get them for you. Snap-on Matco and cornwell, all those guys have it. Far safer than sand blasting. Often if held to long or too course, it will roll the aluminum over the other aluminum, not good. Ive seen some factory clear coat sooo tough, aircraft stripper wouldnt touch it.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
28 Aug 2012 09:38 - 28 Aug 2012 09:42 #545254 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic Fork reconditioning

KZJOE900 wrote:

Knowmad wrote: What product can be used to strip the original clear coat off. I have two KZ1Ks, a 77 and a 78, the 78 has chrome lowers which are or course easy to maintain, the 77 I want to strip and polish.

I would think Aircraft Remover would do the job. Maybe someone here could confirm if it does or not.

I used the aircraft stripper in the aerosol can - Klean-Strip brand. It took a couple of applications but if you use a soft brush and higher pressure hose nozzle it lifts it really nice. Then use a sisal buffing wheel with the proper compound. The sisal wheel cleans them up really fast and leaves a factory looking finish on them - meaning polished not mirror like. I then used some autosol to clean them up by hand. I have left mine unfinished.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 09:42 by pig9r.