single to dual discs

More
02 May 2012 02:41 #519261 by damarble
single to dual discs was created by damarble
I'd be nice to get duals up front on the twin. Obviously I need new forks with mounts for a right side caliper. How about the wheel hub? If I take the dust cover off that side can I bolt a second disc on or will I need another hub?

I've got a line on some 89 ZX1000 forks and triples for dirt cheap. Would these introduce more headaches than solutions?

I suppose the best method would be to hold out for a complete KZ1000 front end. I've grown attached to the look of the 19" spoked wheel and don't want to lose it.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2012 06:44 #519274 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic single to dual discs
I think the easy way would be to find the old twin disk setup. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
02 May 2012 11:54 #519325 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic single to dual discs
Another option I'm kicking around is 2010 ZX10 forks, USDs. How big a pain might those be?

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
02 May 2012 13:14 #519348 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic single to dual discs
Unless you are going full out street fighter I wouldn't do that.

Someone will come along and give you the info you need.

Maybe start another thread with "streetfighter' fork conversion. That might get the attention you need. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
02 May 2012 14:50 #519368 by damarble
I don't want it to be a fighter, I just want to be able to stop and not bottom out on every little bump.

I took the dust cover off and the hub is threaded for a disc, one more step in the right direction.

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
02 May 2012 15:24 - 21 Feb 2013 15:59 #519370 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 15:59 by martin_csr.

More
02 May 2012 15:35 #519371 by damarble
They definitely need a rebuild. Problem is I'm still stuck with a single disc. It's spooked me a few times already, it just doesn't have the stopping power a bike needs.

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
02 May 2012 23:27 - 03 May 2012 01:01 #519474 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic single to dual discs

damarble wrote: They definitely need a rebuild. Problem is I'm still stuck with a single disc. It's spooked me a few times already, it just doesn't have the stopping power a bike needs.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the brake.

A single disc, when functioning properly, should apply enough braking power to squall the tire, which is the most possible without locking the front wheel.

Single disc are also lighter, and thereby afford significant advantages of less unsprung weight.

For racing purposes, dual discs heat up slower than a single disc.

Some folks think dual discs look cool. "Wow! Look! He must be a racer!" :lol:

Others prefer the cleaner more open look of a single disc, and to better show off those sparkling spokes.

While some still prefer the looks of a drum brake. But concede the superiority of disc stopping power (and slower heating) over even double leading shoe drum brakes.

Am just believing that not everybody's aboard the dual discs bandwagon.

(Will now take cover!) :kiss:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 May 2012 01:01 by Patton.

More
03 May 2012 01:14 #519495 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic single to dual discs
Regarding the rear brake, would suspect that drum adds less unsprung weight than disc.

When it's relatively easy to lock the rear wheel by pressing the brake pedal, whether drum or disc, other considerations besides "stopping power" would be involved, such as "looks," maintenance, heat build-up during racing, etc.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 May 2012 01:20 #519496 by steell
Replied by steell on topic single to dual discs

Patton wrote:

damarble wrote: They definitely need a rebuild. Problem is I'm still stuck with a single disc. It's spooked me a few times already, it just doesn't have the stopping power a bike needs.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the brake.

A single disc, when functioning properly, should apply enough braking power to squall the tire, which is the most possible without locking the front wheel.

A few seconds thought would show you that statement is untrue. If all front brakes worked equally well, then the stopping distance of all bikes would be the same, and numerous magazine tests have shown they're not. Can your bike do a stoppie? Why not? If all brakes were equal then all bikes should be able to do a stoppie, right?

Single disc are also lighter, and thereby afford significant advantages of less unsprung weight.

For racing purposes, dual discs heat up slower than a single disc.

Some folks think dual discs look cool. "Wow! Look! He must be a racer!" :lol:

Others prefer the cleaner more open look of a single disc, and to better show off those sparkling spokes.

While some still prefer the looks of a drum brake. But concede the superiority of disc stopping power (and slower heating) over even double leading shoe drum brakes.

If you ever get the chance to ride a vintage racer with a properly adjusted six leading shoe front brake, you'll see just how good drum brakes could be.

Am just believing that not everybody's aboard the dual discs bandwagon.

No argument there. Viva La Difference! :evil:

(Will now take cover!) :kiss:

KD9JUR

More
03 May 2012 12:32 - 03 May 2012 12:36 #519571 by damarble
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, it works reasonable well for what it is. Just not good enough for somebody used to dual 300mm drilled wave rotors and Nissin calipers. The rear drum is more than enough, it locks up easily. But the front takes a really solid grab to get slowing and never locks up.

I ended up buying the ZX10 forks. Even if I decide not to use them it was a good deal and I can save them for something else.

I can probably use all ZX10 brake parts if I have an adapter machined to bolt the rotors to the stock hub and space them out properly.

89 ZX600C Streetfighter
Last edit: 03 May 2012 12:36 by damarble.

More
03 May 2012 13:36 #519583 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic single to dual discs
forks can be upgraded quite nicely with stiffer springs and if you want to break the bank, cartridge emulators. i usually do stiffer springs at zero cost by shortening the stock ones and adding linger spacers. stock spring rates back at that time where a serious joke, like 20-30% too soft. add a fork brace if you want a mroe solid feel

a relatively simple option to upgrade your brake would be to keep hub and fork and just fit a bigger disc + a newer caliper with and adapter to the existing fork leg holes. really not hard to do, in sohc4 forum there's a guy who does plenty of those conversions.

can fully understand you on wanting more stopping power :)

and ZX10 forks would look total overkill on that sweet thing IMHO.... :huh: