New suspension or new header?

More
18 Apr 2012 09:51 #516458 by SeattleKZ
Replied by SeattleKZ on topic New suspension or new header?

wireman wrote: Is that Dons old kz? B)

Yes, I got the bike from this guy.
www.kzrider.com/forum/my-profile/userid-1887

I looked through his old posts to see if there was a build thread but ran out of time.

The engine is stock.
Buchanan built wheels with SS spokes
GS swingarm.
I know there's a few other modifications but I can't think of them right now.

Don did a great job with this bike and I plan to keep as close to the way it is while making a few other modifications.
I'd like a low profile flat seat and maybe do away with the backset brackets for the bars. New tires go on this week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2012 09:54 #516460 by SeattleKZ

BlackZ1R wrote: Dude, that thing is nasty. How bout some details!!!!!
I have a nice MAC pipe. Sent you a PM.

Replied via email

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
18 Apr 2012 12:32 #516472 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic New suspension or new header?

etbike3135 wrote: That bike is lowered in the front already and you may want to take the forks apart and see if there are lowering blocks in them. The rear may be lower from the GS swing arm.

+1
Look at the front fender, that's clearly not stock. I would bet that the front end is from a different bike. It obviously sits lower. IIRC the GS swing arm lays the shocks down further than a KZ arm thus lowering the rear.

It does sit nice like it is. Maybe raise it up enough to sit like that when it has your weight on it. Measure your sag and then adjust up that much. Nice bike!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Apr 2012 13:28 #516485 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic New suspension or new header?
A sidewinder? That will not help cornering ay all they are made for straight line drag racing.Might turn left without scraping but a right turn will high end ya. Go with an upswept street pipe like a Kerker or V&H. I still scrape my V&H on hard corners but rarely

les holt wrote: What he said, That's a good looking bike.
Go to a side winder pipe, Sucks dealing with the brake pedal but it will give you the clearance you need.

Les

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
18 Apr 2012 15:03 #516499 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic New suspension or new header?

Kawickrice wrote: A sidewinder? That will not help cornering ay all they are made for straight line drag racing.Might turn left without scraping but a right turn will high end ya. Go with an upswept street pipe like a Kerker or V&H. I still scrape my V&H on hard corners but rarely

Go to a side winder pipe, Sucks dealing with the brake pedal but it will give you the clearance you need.

Les

or a MAC :whistle:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Apr 2012 15:06 #516501 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic New suspension or new header?
Yes even a MAC. Did I just say that? ;)

BlackZ1R wrote:

Kawickrice wrote: A sidewinder? That will not help cornering ay all they are made for straight line drag racing.Might turn left without scraping but a right turn will high end ya. Go with an upswept street pipe like a Kerker or V&H. I still scrape my V&H on hard corners but rarely

Les

or a MAC :whistle:

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
23 Apr 2012 09:58 #517517 by SeattleKZ
Can somebody tell me how long my front forks should be from center of axle to top of tube when there is no weight on the bike? I think my tubes may be 1-2" short. If that's the case here's my plan.

Get new fork tubes and make them 1" longer than existing
Put on a MAC header
Get new rear shocks that are 1" longer than existing

That way the bikes will only go up a little, I can keep the 18" wheel and hopefully the header won't scrape.

More
23 Apr 2012 10:09 #517524 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic New suspension or new header?
Ask if there was lowering blocks installed in the front forks. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
24 Apr 2012 09:10 #517745 by SeattleKZ
I checked with the PO and he said the forks are off a KZ but he doesn't know what year and that there is no lowering blocks in them. He rebuilt them when he had them.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Apr 2012 10:06 #517755 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic New suspension or new header?
stock kz forks should be 30 3/4" from the top to the axle centre.
i dont think a Mac pipe will help i have a Mac and Kerker, they both look almost the same as far as the bend shape.
check the forks springs . i can install stiffer springs or install preload spacers on top of them. i had 2" spacers sitting on top of my springs. this pre-loads the spring so the bike sits higher at rest. the forks can still bottom out the same as before though. u just use a metal or plastic abs pipe and cut it to length. if u changed to a heavier fork oil, this would also slow down the compression and may help.
i think,the only pipe that will truly help would be a race style. these type of pipes would go straight down the centre of the motor, rather than going around the oil filter cover, then exit tight to the frame. this is the route i took when my Kerker started to scrape at the track.
Raising the bike is the first and best option if u like the twisties.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
24 Apr 2012 10:47 #517759 by SeattleKZ

mark1122 wrote: stock kz forks should be 30 3/4" from the top to the axle centre.
i dont think a Mac pipe will help i have a Mac and Kerker, they both look almost the same as far as the bend shape.
check the forks springs . i can install stiffer springs or install preload spacers on top of them. i had 2" spacers sitting on top of my springs. this pre-loads the spring so the bike sits higher at rest. the forks can still bottom out the same as before though. u just use a metal or plastic abs pipe and cut it to length. if u changed to a heavier fork oil, this would also slow down the compression and may help.
i think,the only pipe that will truly help would be a race style. these type of pipes would go straight down the centre of the motor, rather than going around the oil filter cover, then exit tight to the frame. this is the route i took when my Kerker started to scrape at the track.
Raising the bike is the first and best option if u like the twisties.

I've only got 30" length in my forks when there is no weight on the front.
When you add spacers do you just out them right under the top cap?
What would be a good option for rear shocks that would be 1" longer than stock?