• Page:

TOPIC:

Wide rear tires 30 May 2006 18:57 #51014

• FEF
  • FEF's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The problem:

I'm not hooking up well enough with the stockish rear. that's not too surprizing. This means I need something a bit wider. This leads me to consider more of an auto type tire, and a wider rim.

By searching the archives, I've found a few interesting tidbits...

The GS1100 swingarm needs little in the way of modifications and will get me a slick of about 6.5".

Now, I'm actually considering something about 9". This gets me squarely into the realm of a jackshaft application. Searching the archives, I found the 'Busa. While I have no desire to do anyting like that, I find it interesting.

Do any of you have experiance with jackshaft swingarms, or any other advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wide rear tires 30 May 2006 19:57 #51026

• timber
  • User
on what type of bike? lucky for you the kz 900 & 1000 where drag favorites and you can still get drag parts like offset sprockets with carrier bearings. i know there is a place in mn. that makes swing arms and rear frame units to run wider drag tires.

Wide rear tires 30 May 2006 21:22 #51044

• wireman
  • Visitor
what kind of bike and what kind of motor?:whistle: have you tried a stickier tire?i used to be able to burn metzeler me99s down to the cords,till i tried a comp k version bike damn near did a backflip first time it hooked up!:S :blink: :evil: wider tires eat up a lot of horsepower and are harder on driveline parts.;)

Wide rear tires 31 May 2006 15:22 #51218

• FEF
  • FEF's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
wireman wrote:

what kind of bike and what kind of motor?

Well...

It's bound to get out sooner or later....

One of my projects is soemthing like this:
www.geocities.com/indycycler/projects/Batson/batson.html

My other project is to put KZ wheels on my KLR650.

The 3rd project, in no particular order, is to restore my '75 Z1 (bought in '79) back to stock/origional... As in Showroom condition.

It wouldn't be the first time I've been considered crazy. :)

I'm gathering/sorting parts that I've been carrying around, and found MANY Z1/KZ/Spector parts. I'd like to see one of these projects done this year, and the others done next year.

;) B)

Wide rear tires 31 May 2006 16:31 #51242

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Oh man do I love that indy car style trike. I would love to build something like that. Mad skills to complete something like that. I wouldn't know where to start.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Wide rear tires 31 May 2006 23:46 #51329

• sbjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
man that is prety neat.

if you want more stick. than i would go with a softer type tire. but this will also give you less mile age out of it.

other option like timber said is to go to a wider set up in the rear. i have a gixxer 600 rear tire set up. with a race tire on it (soft and sticky) this thing crabs rocks and won't let go. (they actually stick in the tire when it gets a little warm)

or you could even try a set of mickey thompsons, i would really get a hold of some of the drag bike guys in heere and get some opinions from them.

good luck.

Wide rear tires 24 Jul 2006 20:05 #64426

• Turtle
  • User
I am sure you are talkng about PMFR or Precision Metal Fabrication Racing, out of Shakopee, MN. www.pmfronline.com/

Great people, and workmanship!

Post edited by: Turtle, at: 2006/07/24 23:06
1980 KZ 1000 A4 with 750 Zephyr swing arm and ZX-9 rear wheel

Wide rear tires 24 Jul 2006 20:23 #64432

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Options:

Use stock rim and try to find a stickier tire (good luck with that one!)

Go to a WM6 rim (3.5" wide) like a lot of guys do. You can run this with a 130, possibly a 140 tire in a stock swingarm. I run a 130 because it flattens it out some for better traction. Even with this set-up, good tires are hard to come by-I've looked long for one and can't find one yet with decent traction. 18" tires are old style nowadays and soft tires aren't made for them much.

Go with any of the newer sportbike rim set-ups, but then you need to switch to 520(?) pitch chain which will reguire new chain and sprockets also. They are made for a KZ front but are hard to find...maybe some places like Koenig, etc. has them. But you will need an aftermarket swingarm to fit the rims.

Go with aftermarket rims in 5.5-6.25 width in 17" so you can get sportbike tires in any configuration you want. This is the trick...17"!!! You will need to get a 5/8 offset front sprocket setup to run these and even the sportbike rims(most of them are 5.5-6.0" wide. You can run without the bearing support plate, but I would'nt recommend it if you plan on abusing it any. Cheap insurance.

If you want to run a 9"-10" rim with up to a10" tire, you can go with a 3" offset sprocket and support which usually runs the chain on the OUTSIDE of the frame unless you want to notch the frame and make room, but again...not recommended.

Like they say...speed costs...how fast do you want to go. Hope this helps.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Wide rear tires 25 Jul 2006 19:46 #64720

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
wouldn't 5/8" offset make the chain rub on the frame?I was looking at the frame to chain clearance on my 76 and it seems to measure 1/2" max. Am I missing something.I'd like to put on a ZXR1100 swing arm but I'm worried about this clearance.:unsure:
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Wide rear tires 26 Jul 2006 16:50 #64977

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I have a 5/8 offset on my turbo and on my dragbike and there is plenty of clearance. Not to worry. It's close, yea, but it will work. Turbo used to have a 200 tire on it before, so it works. Most run a 180 tire and maybe a 190 M/T for fantastic bite at the track, but for the street...180 seems to be most popular although a 200 looks HUGE on back of a KZ!
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Wide rear tires 26 Jul 2006 22:13 #65061

• rattler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
mark1122 wrote:

wouldn't 5/8" offset make the chain rub on the frame?I was looking at the frame to chain clearance on my 76 and it seems to measure 1/2" max. Am I missing something.I'd like to put on a ZXR1100 swing arm but I'm worried about this clearance.:unsure:

i run a 5/8 offset sprocket in the front with a 17x 5.5 rim in the back(180 dunlop tire). you can make almost anything work with a lot of spare time and plenty of cash to drop in it,

Wide rear tires 27 Jul 2006 14:10 #65226

• RollingStock
  • User
did read everyones post.. but what about a 190?

i getting a new sinko(sp?)i can go up to a 200-210 if i wanted

edit: as to the front sprocket im runing A STOCK busa front... really it isnt going to be hard to find a front sprocket..

Post edited by: RollingStock, at: 2006/07/27 17:15
73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

• Page: