bobber

More
12 Feb 2012 17:11 #503499 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic bobber
There are several schools of thought on this. If it were me I would definately get it running before I worried about anything thing else.

I'm not one to start taking things apart and so called clean and sync and...

go spend 8 bucks on a set of plugs pour the gas out of the tank put fresh gas in and if it will run ride it (back roads side streets etc.. and see what you have

if it has set a while it will take a while with fresh plugs and gas to clean the varnish and oxidation out of the carbs

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2012 17:14 #503501 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic bobber
I wouldn't be thinking about a rebuild yet. I suggest you get the Kawasaki service manual, clean the carbs, get rid of any old gas, change the oil, and do a complete proper tune-up. Then see how it runs. It's not fair to expect an old bike to run like a top unless it has had a recent, proper tune-up. If after it is tuned it still idels rough you should check the carb holders for leaks - leaky carb holders will make a KZ idle like crap. If it still doesn't run properly I would do a compression test and if the compression is poor a leak down test to diagnose where compression is leaking. RIMO, rebuilding a motor without first propoerly diagnosing if it needs a rebuild is a waste of time and money. Also, if you haven't read it you may want to read the following link:

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/503382-...not-so-new-kz-owners

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.