Very Loud Chain

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2011 15:48 #482354 by Pontiacdude210
Very Loud Chain was created by Pontiacdude210
I have a 1980 KZ550. I noticed after a few weeks riding it, there was a slapping noise when I turned. Looking into it, the chain was really really loose and had been for a long time. I used the adjusters to pull the wheel back until the chain was tight, but not under major tension. I loaded the chain up with some light oil, and thought that was the end of it. However, it makes a clicking at low speeds, and when pushing the bike in neutral, it makes a lot of noise, almost as if the sprocket isn't meshing with the chain quite right. The sprocket looks good, do I need a new chain?

-1980 KZ550C Viper Red, Black Fenders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2011 16:04 #482356 by sandscustoms
Replied by sandscustoms on topic Very Loud Chain
Yea man grab a new chain and also check for exesive wear on your sprackets.

More
10 Oct 2011 16:05 #482357 by sandscustoms
Replied by sandscustoms on topic Very Loud Chain
sprockets i mean

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2011 16:09 #482360 by Pontiacdude210
Replied by Pontiacdude210 on topic Very Loud Chain
Yeah, I guess I don't know how to check for sprocket wear, I need a new chain regardless, that thing is shot(had to pull the wheel like 2 in back to get tension?). The sprockets look OK, but might just replace the things anyway,

-1980 KZ550C Viper Red, Black Fenders

More
10 Oct 2011 16:18 #482363 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Very Loud Chain
Sprockets should be replaced when thre chain is replaced. Sprockets and chain wear together, so putting a new chain on old sprockets will prematurely wear out the chain. Also, you need to look in the manual on how to adjust your chain. There is supposed to be a specific amount of slack in the chain. Too tight can be worse than too loose. If you don't adjust it properly your new chain and sprockets will be shot in no time. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Oct 2011 16:26 #482367 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Very Loud Chain
On the rear wheel sprocket, see if there is any bending of the teeth or "Hooking", a sure sign of needed replacement. As mentioned, replace both sprockets and chain as a set to ensure even wear.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
10 Oct 2011 16:32 #482372 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Very Loud Chain

Pontiacdude210 wrote: I have a 1980 KZ550. I noticed after a few weeks riding it, there was a slapping noise when I turned. Looking into it, the chain was really really loose and had been for a long time. I used the adjusters to pull the wheel back until the chain was tight, but not under major tension. I loaded the chain up with some light oil, and thought that was the end of it. However, it makes a clicking at low speeds, and when pushing the bike in neutral, it makes a lot of noise, almost as if the sprocket isn't meshing with the chain quite right. The sprocket looks good, do I need a new chain?

Yes, and sprockets. Go to Z1E, best prices on chain and sprockets.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Oct 2011 16:58 - 10 Oct 2011 17:00 #482375 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Very Loud Chain
Pontiacdude210 wrote: "I used the adjusters to pull the wheel back until the chain was tight, but not under major tension." Not good "I loaded the chain up with some light oil...." Not good

As suggested in response to your engine tick posting, you really should buy a Kawasaki service manual or you will waste a lot of $$$$ through the trial and error maintenance / repair approach. Please understand; I'm not trying to insult you. The manual serves as an essential part of any owner's maintenance and repair plan. In fact, it may be the single most important element in maintaining these bikes. I know that is true in my case. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 10 Oct 2011 17:00 by 650ed.

More
11 Oct 2011 22:13 #482638 by redneckcarrow
Replied by redneckcarrow on topic Very Loud Chain
cant remember his exact name but its like load something but he has a downloadable shop manual for your bike it happends to be same year and size as mine and it has been very helpful

1980 kz 550 ltd stock

More
11 Oct 2011 22:39 #482644 by redneckcarrow
Replied by redneckcarrow on topic Very Loud Chain
remembered his name its loadvhx i believe its in his signature

1980 kz 550 ltd stock

More
12 Oct 2011 19:59 #482804 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Very Loud Chain

1980 KZ500 B2

More
12 Oct 2011 20:54 #482808 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Very Loud Chain

Pontiacdude210 wrote: ...slapping noise when I turned...chain was really really loose...used the adjusters to pull the wheel back until the chain was tight, but not under major tension...makes a clicking at low speeds, and when pushing the bike in neutral, it makes a lot of noise, almost as if the sprocket isn't meshing with the chain quite right. The sprocket looks good, do I need a new chain?

Perhaps the rear sprocket isn't perfectly aligned with the counter shaft sprocket.
Don't trust the alignment marks.
Best to assure equal distance on each side between center of swing arm bolt and center of rear axle.
Sight down along the chain over the rear sprocket to assure a perfectly straight chain as it leaves the rear sprocket and engages the top of the counter shaft sprocket.
There should be no discernible misalignment off the rear sprocket or onto the counter shaft sprocket.
Stated another way, both sprockets are supposed to be in exactly the same geometric plane.
Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD