Anyone run this Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire?

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Jul 2011 14:15 - 27 Jul 2011 19:05 #465302 by Motor Head
www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6...aspx?WT.ac=Cart_Item
I had another tire from Shinko and got a bit over 4500mi on it. the last trip used up the center, so I was going to try this one which is more for the type of riding I do. Hoping to get more life out of the tire at the weight loads and speeds with still decent cornering. The reviews look good, except for a wet handling complaint. harder tires are going to be like that.

Well I went ahead and ordered this tire while it was on sale. I would still like any feed back about it or the brand. After I get it and do the install I'll post some comments.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2011 19:05 by Motor Head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2011 17:51 - 03 Aug 2011 18:02 #466629 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Anyone run this Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire?
Well its been a week, and all of a sudden i get an email from the Motorcyclesuperstore saying that this tire is on back order. :angry: I called them right away. While they of course apologized, they can't be at fault? I saw Bulloney. Won't be buying from them, getting a refund since they have had my payment all week. Don't recommend that anyone goes to their website and make a purchase. I hate sites where they show an Item in stock, and then a week later, Oh sorry can't get that. Like I said Bulloney!!
They don't want me to bad for a customer, as i gave them a chance to ship me a simalar tire for the same price, No can Do was the result. I say F- them!:angry:

Probably going with a Dunlap 404, as there is a guy local on CL who has a new one for 1/2 price, $46. If I can score it.
The bike is just sitting there with no rear at the moment, as the tire was supposed to show up today according to the first tracking info.:angry:

Oh and as most all of you know very well, Z1 has just shipped my other stuff, and Fedex dropped it of like 10 minutes ago. Those Z1 guys have got a real good thing going. They get my repeat business and recommendation.:)
So at least I can finish up the other stuff I was doing. :)
hopefully there will be plenty of riding yet this year, maybe another round trip to Seattle?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2011 18:02 by Motor Head.

More
03 Aug 2011 18:00 #466634 by Kidkawie
Motosport blows out tires once in a while. I got a $70 MX tire for $35. They show real-time quantity too.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 Aug 2011 18:00 #466635 by TeK9iNe
Dude that sucks - I feel your pain.

:angry:

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2011 18:10 #466636 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Anyone run this Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire?
Thanks guys. :)
I think I'll be Ok as they just refunded my PayPal account.
Now if I can get this other tire locally, and Install the stuff I got from Z1 while I have a couple of colddies, things will be right again.:)

Funny thing about that order was that they show "Real Time Stock" just it doesn't mean anything. Then given the chance to make me happy, they declined.:angry: Too many other suppliers out there who will do right by you, to put up with that Bull crappo.

More
03 Aug 2011 18:16 #466639 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Anyone run this Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire?
Z1E should start selling tires. Roadriders, Spitfires, OEM Dunlops, etc. Just the stock 19 front and 18/16 rear. :)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2011 18:19 #466640 by Motor Head

mtbspeedfreak wrote: Z1E should start selling tires. Roadriders, Spitfires, OEM Dunlops, etc. Just the stock 19 front and 18/16 rear. :)

Dam straight!!
Customer service and a fair price, and always helpful. Tires would give them a sure way to please more riders. :)
They have the wheel bearings and brakes so tires would be natural, I would think.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2011 18:40 - 03 Aug 2011 23:28 #466644 by Motor Head
Just called to confirm that this supplier has 8 of the Shinko's in stock and can ship Today! UPS ground so Monday afternoon.
www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail...&quickAddByPart.y=13
Same price as the supposed sale at the other Not So SuperStore.
I'll give them a try, as I think the CL deal is gone even thought the add is up still.

Well got the Shinko Coming from Rockymountain, shipped Immediately. $7 flate rate shipping, gotta love that.
Never could get a hold of the CL guy, but I had one of those Dunlap tires before. While it was a good tire, it was quick wearing. It was on the bike when I got it, and I killed it going from Colorado to Oregon last summer. Probably less then 3000 miles. I hope to get much better from the Shinko.

Last edit: 03 Aug 2011 23:28 by Motor Head.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2011 17:06 #467272 by Motor Head
I can't Bloody believe it! I just pulled up that Shinko Tour Mater again at the Motorcyclesuperstire and it says available and ready to ship? That's 2:03pm Mountain time Saturday the 6th of August. One week after I had ordered one, and 2 days after I got the email saying they can't get it, don't know when they might have it. www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6...aster-Rear-Tire.aspx
Don't be fooled by this worthless vendor. They will wait a week then notify you that they cannot get that tire. Then still have it listed on their crummy site as "Ready to ship", Loosers!!!

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2011 21:23 #467832 by Motor Head
well my Shinko Tour Master showed up this afternoon for the Utah Based Rockymountain Cycles. All good mounted balanced, with new wheel bearings. Also did the front bearings. Next is a bit more servicing, and cleaning, then ride it to see how the new tire feels. Getting ready for a Probably Labor Day trip back to Pacific NW/ Seattle area.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Aug 2011 20:54 #469252 by Motor Head
Well after a few rides around to knock the New off of the tire, I measured the tread depth at 8.4mm in the groove in the middle, that's where it will wear the most. Feels real good, more stable in the curves. Just a different tread and compound than the last 720 Shinko i ran.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Sep 2011 19:38 #477519 by Motor Head
OK so I have around 4K miles on this Shinko Tour Master now. I'll review it a bit.
First as I had read in the customer reviews before purchase, the wear in the center is as expected, still got 3.76mm of depth. Was 8.4mm new. So definitely more than 2/3's worn.
The problem I found with it is that the right side of the tire has handling issues. When new and inflated, you could see the profile was taller on the right compared to the left, very strange indeed. Now it is even showing some cupping on the right side of the tread pattern. this has from new caused a wobble when cornering to the right then going through a dip or bump. It was a bit unnerving a few times, and some may find that their shorts would stain. :sick:
I won't get this tire again due to that issue, and once I reorder another tire it will be coming off and then trashed. I had almost got a Dunlap 404 from a local on Cl. I think I'll get that next time.