Need some new thoughts on front end problem

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2011 11:29 #464585 by donthekawguy
Need some new thoughts on front end problem was created by donthekawguy
When I got the bike almost 4 years ago, the front end was a little off. the right side of the bars were back a little like it had a bent fork or something. Well I have changed the forks, tripple clamps, headlight ears and bars. I changed all that stuff out last winter and its still crooked. I thought it might be the handlebar set backs I have on it but when I rode it to work last night the headlight was pointing to the right side of the road so I dont think the set backs are the problem. The only thing I can think of is the front hub being messed up but I had it respoked at Buchanons and I think they would have noticed a problem. Everything is new on the front end and it's still goofy! WTH? Any suggestions would help.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2011 11:55 #464590 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem
Steering column Neck/frame front bent or something?

Bike pull to right while riding?

Weird....:S

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
24 Jul 2011 12:18 #464594 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem
X2
Sounds like a bent frame seeing how you've changed everything else. Bummer.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• Ktm181
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
24 Jul 2011 21:37 - 24 Jul 2011 21:39 #464667 by Ktm181
Replied by Ktm181 on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem

donthekawguy wrote: When I got the bike almost 4 years ago, the front end was a little off. the right side of the bars were back a little like it had a bent fork or something. Well I have changed the forks, tripple clamps, headlight ears and bars. I changed all that stuff out last winter and its still crooked. I thought it might be the handlebar set backs I have on it but when I rode it to work last night the headlight was pointing to the right side of the road so I dont think the set backs are the problem. The only thing I can think of is the front hub being messed up but I had it respoked at Buchanons and I think they would have noticed a problem. Everything is new on the front end and it's still goofy! WTH? Any suggestions would help.

Sounds like rear axle alignment, have you string lined your front and rear wheels? The rear wheel chain alignment marks do not always make the rear wheel align straight ahead relative to the chassis/frame, google "string align wheels" etc you will find some pics to help you out,you will be surprised how much your bike is "crabbing" from the rear,mine was out 5/8 inch front to rear, felt like bent bars AND caused different cornering left to right when at the limit!

Oh, quick way to check this is to ride down a KNOWN flat road surface and let go of bars,if bike pulls one way or the other you most likely are out of alignment.

Cheers,
Kt
Last edit: 24 Jul 2011 21:39 by Ktm181. Reason: more info.

More
24 Jul 2011 21:48 #464671 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem
Are you sure the forks are square in the trees? They can be mounted and still be "twisted" which will have the bars and anything mounted on the fork tubes pointed in the direction of the forks. I had this happen from time to time. Happens on dirt bikes and would just put front wheel against a tree, etc. and "adjust" the front-end. Put bike up-right and make sure front wheel is pointed straight ahead, then look at bars. If they are pointing left or right, this could be the problem also. Can also tell by running straight down road and noticing which way the bars are pointing. What happens is that the upper and lower tree are not in line. Forks mount ok but top tree will not be straight ahead while tire is. Something to check.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
24 Jul 2011 22:22 #464678 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem

Oh, quick way to check this is to ride down a KNOWN flat road surface and let go of bars,if bike pulls one way or the other you most likely are out of alignment.
Kt

Good previous info provided, however - these bikes were "admittedly" not perfectly balanced from the factory, and many never had straight frames to begin with. If your bike happens to wander one way or the other no hands, it could be any countless number of variables.

Stick with the string alignment - works good, or you can make a jig from some 2x4's - google it, lots of people have done it.

Sometimes the forks are just slightly twisted across thier entire length. Get 2 yard sticks. Stick one across the top of the forks, and the other across the bottom. Now look down the sticks from above (bike on center stand, standing on foot pegs), and you will clearly see if the sticks are not perfectly parralel from top to bottom of forks.

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2011 02:14 #464719 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem
It dosen't pull to either side going down the road and feels solid. When I got it it was a second owner and was all stock so I changed the rear tire before riding it to Canada and it was always off. I put a gs swingarm on it and only checked the chain alignment but I used a laser and the chain is dead on. I dont know how a bent frame would make the bars off from left to right. I could see them sloping to one side. I did check all the welds when I had it apart a couple of months ago to change the bearings and didnt notice anything strange. I think I'll try the "tree" method and maybe take off the set backs in case one is longer or something like that.

Now a couple of new problems, the gauge lights stopped working and the rear brake is hanging up. :angry: By the time I got home the motor was over heating and the pads were smoking. Back to the diningroom for some work. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Jul 2011 08:29 #464742 by thug
I had the same problem on an old Suzuki GS750.
Renenwed the forks,triple trees(yokes where I,m from:lol: )even tried brute force but never got very far with the problem.
Then decided to stick the motor in a hardtail frame and once everything was stripped from the GS it was plain to see the frame was bent:(
Hope you get things sorted dude;)

KZ1100 A3 shaftie

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2011 09:05 #464748 by donthekawguy
Anyone heard of getting the frame straight without tearing down the whole bike? I hope it can be done. Worste case I'll have to get another frame and swap everything over. If I go that route it will be a restoration not a rebuild. :woohoo:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Jul 2011 09:44 #464756 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem

donthekawguy wrote: Anyone heard of getting the frame straight without tearing down the whole bike? I hope it can be done. Worste case I'll have to get another frame and swap everything over. If I go that route it will be a restoration not a rebuild. :woohoo:

no it aint happening, to straighten a frame ur gonna need to make a impromptu jig, (I used wood to make mine) and some heat, and yes tearing the bike apart is the only way

More
25 Jul 2011 09:54 #464761 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Need some new thoughts on front end problem
of course u know new frame will have to come with a title, and possible hassles with the DMV depending on which state u live in

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2011 02:21 #464983 by donthekawguy
The 77 frames seem to run around $100 with papers. I live in Idaho so DMV is no problem. I'll check it out this weekend and pray its no the frame.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125