Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.

• RainRider503
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2011 19:28 #449681 by RainRider503
Replied by RainRider503 on topic Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.
I want to put a wide wheel on the front too! I just though I'd keep the questions on my rear first. LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 May 2011 20:16 #449695 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.
I would get a proper sized set of Avon RoadRiders and be amazed at the handling difference. The Z1/Kz900/Kz1000 swingarms allow for about a 140 tire at best, but on the stock rims that "mushrooms" the tire more than you would like causing less traction in the corners. I know this because I'm running a 140 on my 900 and I can't wait to wear it down and go back to a 120. Way to squirrelly in slow corner/throttle situations. I'm running the Dunlop D404's and wouldn't buy them again or recommend them to anyone.

More
08 May 2011 23:20 #449736 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.
The simplest way to get wide tires on a 76-80 750 twin.

Get a 83-85 GPz750 aluminum swing arm, cut off the bottom mounts and weld them on top for dual shock mounts, cut the brake stay mount off the top and weld it on the bottom, use a KZ550 or GPz900 spacers so you can use the stock pivot bolt, or drill the pivot bolt holes on the frame out to 17mm, then get a 2000 or so Suzuki GSX750 Katana wheel, axle, and caliper. Make the appropriate spacers and you have the rear done.

For the front use the entire front end off the Suzuki GSX750 Katana, get conversion bearings to fit it to the 750 twin frame, file the boss off the bottom of the top clamp so you can get the top nut on. Use the GSX bars or convert to standard bars, fit a electronic speedometer.

At this point you have 160/17 rear and 120/17 front radial tires.

160 needs a 4 1/2" rim and that's what the GSX750 Katana has in 2000.

I think you'll need a 5/8" offset sprocket.

I have all the above ready to go on a 1980 KZ750G twin frame whenever I get done with the Zx11 I'm currently working on.

KD9JUR

• RainRider503
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2011 20:27 #449928 by RainRider503
Replied by RainRider503 on topic Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.
So....you're saying I shouldn't do this?!? :unsure:

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
09 May 2011 21:30 #449937 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.
U can do anything u want to a bike if u have the following:time,patience,money,money and oh yes money,time,patience and some mechanical aptitude.Steell just told u exactly what u need to do what u said u want to do.If u have the other ingredients--go for it. If not,try a real good set of new tires and see if that doesnt fit your needs.Good luck.bj

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 May 2011 00:03 #449980 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Idiots guide to increasing wheel size.
Nobody says shouldn't (not really) - it's your bike. It'll be cheaper to first try a new set of rubber with the proper sizes and modern tread. Most tire manufacturers don't make (or so I'm told) the proper sizes for these bikes anymore - good things have been reported about sizing, wear, and grip on the Avon RoadRiders, thus the suggestion.