Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550

More
02 Apr 2011 20:56 #442231 by nosbearatu
Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550 was created by nosbearatu
I have been going through my '81 KZ550 trying to get it ready for the spring. Today I went to remove the swing arm to clean and to be able to replace the chain. For the life of me I can't get the swing arm nut off. I was pushing for all I was worth on a breaker bar on the nut and it will move maybe an inch in either direction. Is there something I'm missing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 23:00 #442265 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550
I've had good luck using a penetrating oil called "Kroil" other people have used "PB Blaster".Try heating the nut with a propane torch and then apply the penetrating oil. This should let the oil move to the tight places and allow you to remove it.

Don't get the nut red hot, just enough for the oil to work.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Apr 2011 23:04 #442266 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550
cotter pin? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Apr 2011 23:21 #442274 by nosbearatu
Replied by nosbearatu on topic Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550
no pin, I soaked it with liquid wrench before I came in for the night and I will give it a try tomorrow. If that doesn't work Ill try hitting it with some heat. Thanks

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Apr 2011 23:54 #442281 by wireman
if theres no slop in swingarm bearings/bushings you could always just leave swingarm on and just cut chain off with a 4" grinder and a cut off wheel,new chain will have a master link anyway B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
03 Apr 2011 10:29 #442333 by nosbearatu
I think thats what the PO did, which explains why the nut is frozen. I was hoping to get it apart to inspect the bearings, but if I can't get it that will probably be what I have to do.

• wireman
  • User
More
03 Apr 2011 11:32 #442348 by wireman
have you tried a 10' piece of 1 1/2" conduit on your breaker bar?
makes a hell of a differance if standing on it isnt enough! :laugh:

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2011 13:48 #442372 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550
Unless the nut still doesnt come off and u launch yourself into low earth orbit.If u do get the swing arm off,might want to consider tapping it for a Zerk fitting so u can grease it without removal.bj

More
03 Apr 2011 16:53 #442392 by nosbearatu
As it is the socket i'm using jumps under too much pressure (stupid 12 point sockets). I checked the swing arm for wear and there doesn't appear to be any side to side play in the pivot and the arm travels without any hesitation. I'm going to give it one more good try and then if it doesn't come loose I'm going to just going to leave it be and just keep my eye on that play to make sure the bearings aren't wearing out.

More
03 Apr 2011 17:11 #442393 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stuck Swing Arm Nut KZ550
kawasaki.com swing arm diagram shows needle bearings and a grease fitting.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
More
03 Apr 2011 17:23 #442394 by wireman
run your breaker bar through back of swingarm where axle goes and try twisting swingarm ,if theres any slop in pivot area this will show it. B)

More
06 Apr 2011 14:25 #442992 by nosbearatu
Patton, I wish there was a grease fitting. For some reason Kawasaki discontinued the fittings in 1980 for the swing arm on this bike. The remaining few years, you have to disassemble to repack the bearings.

I have checked the swing arm for lateral play and I don't see any. Up and down motion is smooth with no resistance so I am going to hold off on this project. It looks to me like the nut has welded itself to the swing arm bold sleve, as the whole unit will turn when I put a lot of pressure on it. This repair will have to wait until I either pick up an impact wrench or a torch for my shop.

I originally thought I had to take it off to replace the chain as the shop manual tells you to only use continuous chains for the drive. But seeing as the chain I have had on there has been a master link chain for the last 3-4 years and 15,000 miles I'm not too concerned. I'll just cut the old one off and pick up a new one.