Clubman questions for Cafe experts.

More
05 Mar 2011 15:17 #435246 by nbrider
Clubman questions for Cafe experts. was created by nbrider
I want to order a set of clubman handlebars, but I don't have very much money right now. So I was wondering if I could put all my controls that are currently on my 440 LTD handlebars directly over onto the clubmans? Not looking to much about looks at the moment because I will likely swap for new controls soon. Also, will my handlebar mounted blinkers be able to squeeze onto the handlebars anywhere? I don't know much about fab work to put them onto the headlights, and I don't have the money for new stems for the blinkers. (Sounds funny but I am really stretching it for the bars as it is... I'm a student..)

Thanks to everyone who offers advice!

1983 KZ440 LTD
Black paint- Soon to be something new!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2011 16:13 #435279 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Clubman questions for Cafe experts.
Everything should mount up fine, your cables and hoses will be waaaay long though. I don't know if the clubman's would cause the cables to bind, I'd just save up to buy everything at once. If you put the new bars on it, that much slack wouldn't carry ANY appeal. :)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
05 Mar 2011 16:23 - 06 Mar 2011 20:02 #435284 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic Clubman questions for Cafe experts.
nbrider, the stock controls will work on the clubman bars but there is not enough room for the blinkers.

This is on a 750 LTD but similar.
The cables and brake hose take some creative re-routing but can be used and the LTD brake master cylinder will work with the clubmab bars.

Good luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2011 20:02 by Rainman.

More
05 Mar 2011 16:33 #435290 by nbrider
Replied by nbrider on topic Clubman questions for Cafe experts.
Excellent thanks everyone! I will try just re routing, and as for the blinkers I still have two months until the season begins (I get my license on may 2nd.. ugh. So I will eventually get some blinkers, or take it to the local community college and pay someone ten bucks to do some fabbing for blinkers!

Thanks all for the responses and picture

Quick as always!

1983 KZ440 LTD

More
06 Mar 2011 08:06 #435472 by nbrider
anyone willing to sell a set of clubman handlebars?

I would rather buy a set of used at a great price than pay for a set of new ones.. after all, the bike isn't new!

I have paypal.

1983 KZ440 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 Mar 2011 08:37 - 06 Mar 2011 08:44 #435476 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Clubman questions for Cafe experts.
the cheap ones on e-bay are about as good as any others...and they are not too much...you may decide after riding for a while that you want to remove 3/4 to 1 " from each end of the clubmans with a hacksaw this is done best in a vise with a rag to hold/not scratch......bar end weights also are gonna improve the feel 100% and if you really want to have some nice responsive /great feeling bars ...get a set of oury grips....the weights will calm the front end and balance out any funky harmonics...now they add the 1" you cut off but the whole package...bars,weights,grips is gonna really feel great...the bars alone compared to the full set up will feel empty and cheap imo...buzzy..no road response...vague and dangerous

it may have been said but the routing on the slack can be played with and adjusted over time to not bind the clutch/throttle and to look better.....but the master cylinder for the brake will be the hardest...some bikes had cruiser or relaxed bars,and the brake had its saddle clamp cast by the engineers at an angle so the fluid sat level and pleasing to the eye with those stock bars...now the clubmans require a different angle to the dangle...ect...ect...often a happy medium is about the best you can do..some folks CAREFULLY bend the brake lever a tad with a cresent wrench handles hole as a lever to finish what the rotate will not...and bring the brake in line with your hand....HITCH...later to check the fluid you will need to loosen the fork/bar nuts and swivel the bars to get the brake fluid level...service..seal it and drop the bars back....becomes no big and only done when low...the brake works fine off center

the bar end weight/the hack sawing 1" (no more),you will see why..spacing for grips and controls,and the oury grips....and you are gonna really like the result.....grips 15,weights 10/bars 30.....well worth the effort......and $

IMPORTANT!!!!!!never tighten the whole thing down until your done..snug the fork to bar bolts ,,,but still be able to froce the bars to move easy...snug the controls...but still be able to rotate..brake.throttle...switches....when you have the desired set up ...CAREFUL...trun the bars all the way to the left,,,then the right...force them to full lock watching that the throttle cable is not gonna ding the tnak...rotate the controls untill ...they must not come within a 1/2 inch anywhere from the tank then tighten everythin well...this is even more important than on normal bars...on clubmans if you bump/or tip the bike...and the throttle is not super tightened down..it will spin and ruin your tank...at driveway speeds a tip can ruin the tank quick........the 1/2 inch is kinda hard to get ,and still be where you need to feel set up whne riding..mirrors.brake...ect....but is super important....when you tip or almost tip ,the bike needs that 1/2 inch to not ruin the tank.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 06 Mar 2011 08:44 by trianglelaguna.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
06 Mar 2011 08:39 #435477 by trianglelaguna
these weights are the best as they will fit the 7/8 bars and will slid right in and tighten down well....you will have to cut a hole in the oury with a sharp razor knife

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
06 Mar 2011 09:02 #435481 by nbrider
excellent advice everyone! and the pics help too. I will get this set up on this week if the shipping is quick, I will see how challenging it is to reroute all the cables.

1983 KZ440 LTD

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
06 Mar 2011 12:14 - 06 Mar 2011 20:06 #435534 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic Clubman questions for Cafe experts.

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Last edit: 06 Mar 2011 20:06 by Rainman. Reason: too many copies

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
06 Mar 2011 12:22 #435540 by trianglelaguna
Rainman wrote:

Rainman wrote:

nbrider, the stock controls will work on the clubman bars but there is not enough room for the blinkers.

The cables and brake hose take some creative re-routing but can be used and the LTD brake master cylinder will work with the clubmab bars.

Good luck,
Jim

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
06 Mar 2011 12:22 #435541 by trianglelaguna
trianglelaguna wrote:

Rainman wrote:

Rainman wrote:

Good luck,
Jim

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
06 Mar 2011 15:50 #435653 by nbrider
I found a way to mod my current turn signals :) I included pictures to show and I hope its self explanatory. I removed the backing the the two clamps that hold it to the handlebars, drilled two holes in my headlight mount to match, and used the same bolts that held the two clamps together to hold the turn signal with one clamp onto the headlight bracket. It looks great, Holds on as tight as can be, and saved me needing to do any fab work, purchase any parts or even purchase and entire new assembly!

Hope you all enjoy!

1983 KZ440 LTD