I'm about to reinstall my brake pucks

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
11 Nov 2010 02:48 - 11 Nov 2010 02:51 #412150 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic I'm about to reinstall my brake pucks
seanbarney41 wrote:

Have you tried bleeding the mc separately? I know, on cars at least, your supposed to bleed the mc by looping a length of brakeline (or hose) back into the open reservoir and pumping brake actuator until there are no more air bubbles. Generally done on the bench after a rebuild or fresh replacement but I suppose it could be done on the bike...just more of a handful.

Your idea is a good one.
Before I re-connected the brake hose, I verified that there was noteworthy pressure that ejected brake fluid from the master cylinder.

Little did I realize at the time that the brake hose itself was clogged and although I caught that after 20 minutes of trying to bleed the system, then removed and cleaned the hose until it was clear -- I had already spent 20 minutes trying to bleed the system not knowing the brake hose was clogged.

My thinking is, that 20 minutes I spent pumping the m/c into a clogged hose stressed the 2 rubber cups that generate the fluid flow pressure inside the m/c.

After clearing the hose then reassembling and spending 1 hour bleeding it and seeing brake fluid and air coming out of the nipple -- and then it all stopped -- leads me to believe there is a rupture on one of the rubber cups in the m/c's piston. Patton's idea of no pressure is what I'm going on -- I bet I'll find a ruptured rubber cup when I remove the piston from the m/c.

I am pretty sure I'll be buying a rebuild kit for the m/c, a new brake line, and a rebuild kit for the caliper too. I think the piston/seals in the m/c are munged.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 11 Nov 2010 02:51 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.