High speed weave.

More
07 Oct 2010 11:22 #404920 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic High speed weave.
,oopsies wrong kind of weave! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 11:35 #404932 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic High speed weave.
beefsquasher wrote:

Starts at 110mph and builds in intensity up to 130mph where it gets so bad that I chicken out. Definitely a back of the bike thing. The handlebars stay straight, the back of the bike just feels like it moves from side to side. People following me can easily see it. No change of body position helps. Low freqency, not a wobble or handlebar shake thing.

ONLY happens when HARD on the power. As soon as you lift, she's a straight shooter.

I experienced something similar to that on my Z1B not too long ago. It is a 'weave' not a vibration or wobble. the bike literally moves like a snake or something. The difference with mine was it didn't straighten out the instant I let off but when it got back down to around 90. I've been up over 100 before and she was straight. That day I was on the freeway and it was a little windy so no fairing or windscreen might have been an issue.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Oct 2010 12:01 #404950 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic High speed weave.
one thing that has nothing...and everything.....to do with any weave or handling issue is back shocks...i see folks with really nice bikes on here all the time, all slammed low or stretched with a cool swing arm and big ass rear wheel- built engines- and they are running stock or old school shocks ...or even just some other models kz 1000 or dif yr shock.....i always wonder how much action these bikes get if they have not yet found those shocks easy to correct flaws..and see thoase old spring loaded wobble sticks as good enough....cause they suck bad...

like was just said a few reply's back, good tires first and formost..i learned that here BTW, and great shocks and beefed up internals in the front fork ,new springs ,good heavier oil and the right amount,i like preload spacers too a lot.......then when you get the little bugs worked out it is a world of difference... really good rear shocks to me are one of the best places to throw a few bucks on these old z-1's and kz's...it is one of the first things i change.....the shocks that came with these bikes will deal you a bad hand mid corner and if your really throwing it around can even cause tank slapppers and put you in the ditch or worse...i wont ride with em if i can help it.....and even though they look great on a full resto...not many folks are doing resto's imo...they wanna fly...and to fly costs cheese

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Oct 2010 12:04 #404951 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic High speed weave.
since you have the best money can buy and since they are in good shape...is there a chance they are sprung wrong...or too long bolt to bolt.......too long can cause really scary stuff and needs to be the right length...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• beefsquasher
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Oct 2010 19:36 #405104 by beefsquasher
Replied by beefsquasher on topic High speed weave.
I'm going to try reducing the preload on the rear shocks - they do sit a bit high which would cause the steering head angle to be effectively steeper.

-Dave

1977 KZ1000 Mutt - 1075, Kenny Harmon Cams .400", RS34, Kerker, Dyna S

1997 Honda XR250R
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 BMW R60/5