Need Help!! Where does this part go???

More
19 Aug 2010 15:47 #392218 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need Help!! Where does this part go???
JMKZHI wrote:

Patton wrote:

JMKZHI wrote:

Interesting. I've got the same bike, but, instead of castle nuts, it has self-locking nuts on the torque link (stock).

The self-locking nuts are likely replacement items....

Nope. They're stock originals. I bought the bike new in 1982 - it was a leftover from the previous model year. I'm the only person who's fiddled w the rear wheel.

I believe you. :cheer:

Was going solely by the only diagram of 1981 KZ650 provided on kawaski.com, which in this instance is either wrong or applicable to a different model in showing the #554 pin.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2010 16:37 #392234 by Joe Fabulous
Replied by Joe Fabulous on topic Need Help!! Where does this part go???
This worries me a little bit. If you don't know the part you have is called a castle nut and then can't locate where it came from.......I do have to ask myself should you be actually taking it apart or leaving it to a professional?

I'm all for people getting stuck in and having a go so assuming that you are confident in your abilities my advice is when stripping a bike, particularly on an area that requires a number of items to be removed is to stick the associated nuts and bolts in a resealable freezer bag and write on it whats inside. It can be difficult following a diagram in a manual as many nuts and bolts may have been changed over the years and they just may not correspond to whats in the manual, mine is a case in point as nearly every nut and bolt has been replaced with stainless ones.

Getting back to the nut in the pic, it looks to me like the torque arm nut from the front mount on the swing arm.

2004 Harley Davidson Softail
1981 Z1000 Chop
1982 KZ1100 A2
XS 650 Plunger Chop (in bits)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.