Reducing trail of front end

More
31 May 2010 13:54 #372378 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Reducing trail of front end
KZCSI wrote:

hocbj23 wrote:

whoops.should have said axle is at leading edge.sorry.bj

If that's the case you can still reduce the trail by switching to a set of triple clamps that were designed for a bike with the axle mounted on the end of the fork sliders.

Any KZ900 will yield these triple clamps. You'll have to check the fork centers before you buy but I believe the tube diameters are right.

With a NOD to PLUMMEN:

"Do not try this at home"

"Never modify the frame of any machine that was designed by a professional with a huge insurance policy that backed him up."

"Never operate a modified motorcycle on a publick roadway."

"Always wash your hands after visiting the restroom."

Truly, SD asked how to reduce trail. These measures will certainly do that while keeping rake constant. Will the bike be ridable and stable, he'll have to decide for himself. Plainly stated: I answered the question he asked. SD will have to undertake this modification on his own. Neither I or KZR accepted any remuneration for this answer.

SD, be careful!

Good Luck

Bill

From what I have read, reducing the trail will make the bike unstable as a solo bike, but will be like adding power steering with a side car.

I was curious about changing triple trees. The specs for different bikes of my era give different rake and trail numbers, but is the change in the triple trees for rake angle, or is it just in the axle position or head angle?

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2010 13:58 #372379 by saltydog
TexasKZ wrote:

There's an easier way to reduce trail

40mph into a brick wall :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Will you do it for me?

More
31 May 2010 14:14 #372381 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Reducing trail of front end
uuuhhh.............I'll be right there, I promise :P

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
31 May 2010 16:30 - 31 May 2010 16:31 #372417 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Reducing trail of front end
saltydog wrote:

KZCSI wrote:

hocbj23 wrote:

If that's the case you can still reduce the trail by switching to a set of triple clamps that were designed for a bike with the axle mounted on the end of the fork sliders.

Any KZ900 will yield these triple clamps. You'll have to check the fork centers before you buy but I believe the tube diameters are right.

With a NOD to PLUMMEN:

"Never modify the frame of any machine that was designed by a professional with a huge insurance policy that backed him up."

Truly, SD asked how to reduce trail. These measures will certainly do that while keeping rake constant. Will the bike be ridable and stable, he'll have to decide for himself. Plainly stated: I answered the question he asked. SD will have to undertake this modification on his own. Neither I or KZR accepted any remuneration for this answer.

SD, be careful!

Good Luck

Bill

From what I have read, reducing the trail will make the bike unstable as a solo bike, but will be like adding power steering with a side car.

I was curious about changing triple trees. The specs for different bikes of my era give different rake and trail numbers, but is the change in the triple trees for rake angle, or is it just in the axle position or head angle?

Hi SD,

Changing head angle is a major enterprise involving custom parts. Swapping parts from existing models will change trail but says nothing about rideability.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 31 May 2010 16:31 by KZQ.

More
31 May 2010 16:39 #372420 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Reducing trail of front end
i think id try the sidecar 1st with stock frontend geometry 1st to see if any other handling issues present themselves,otherwise your testing a lot of untested parts which will make troubleshooting a lot harder in my opinion anyway B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
31 May 2010 16:40 #372422 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Reducing trail of front end
KZCSI wrote:

hocbj23 wrote:

With a NOD to PLUMMEN:

SD, be careful!

Good Luck

Bill

always wash your hands,now thats funny! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
31 May 2010 19:40 #372486 by saltydog
PLUMMEN wrote:

i think id try the sidecar 1st with stock frontend geometry 1st to see if any other handling issues present themselves,otherwise your testing a lot of untested parts which will make troubleshooting a lot harder in my opinion anyway B)

I have rode it with the side car. It is a bear to steer. That is why I am looking for ways to change it with out making changes that arent reversable.
Way back when, Harley even offered adjustable triple trees to use with their side cars.
Does any body know if the stock triple trees could be bored to change the angle?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 May 2010 19:57 #372493 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Reducing trail of front end
the new aprilla superbikes have elongated steering neck tubes and shim sets to adjust the rake and trail ....see if you can find images of their set up...it is kinda in design at least walking the same path as your questions... i still think by just dropping the trees a good amount i.e ,raising the froks in the trees.....and changing the tire to a fatter and taller profile you will increase the front turn in steering and help it to overcome the sidecars desire to run the show

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife