Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2010 18:53 #392610 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
A 2 inch ratchet style hold down strap works great to squeeze a tubeless tire down while u seat the bead.Also,just FYI,Progressive motorcyle insurance now offers roadside assistance to policyholders who have an oops while riding.Very reasonable price too.bj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2010 23:38 #392671 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
That's a good point about trying to break the bead when changing your own tires. I'm not sure what holds them on but they sure do stick! That's always the hardest part in changing a tire - breaking the bead. What is it that makes them stick? Even on the "tube type" rim? Does the rubber bond to the rim? Is it the shape of the rim at the bead? Just curious....

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
25 Aug 2010 21:02 #393880 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
Patton, this is where the theory goes awry. If the inner tube goes or the valve stem which in my case happened several times, which is why I went tubeless, the air in fact comes out with a quickness because there is no seal at where the valve stem air goes and air comes out rather quickly. And you can't use fix a flat. Now, if you get a nail in tire instead of busted stem the air leaves at two spots the point of entry and the valve stem area. The tire may be able to be filled with fix a flat to get home slowly but it is what it is. I pray this never happens to my front tire. I could deal with it on the back wheel much easier than crossing the street on a busy day.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
26 Aug 2010 00:19 #393896 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
The bead lock surface on a tubeless wheel is quite different for a rim designed for tube tires.
The ridge keeps the tire on the rim longer than the tube-type rim while the wheel is still turning.
It's not just a matter of holding air, its about holding air when the tire sidewall is under stress.

When leaned over deeply in a high g turn and hit a pot hole, or low on air and hit a curb or pot hole, it's not the time to discover the tire bead seal isn't what it should be.

Whether based on theory, unproven hypothesis, gut feeling, cowardly notion, manufacturer's recommendations, or whatever, am resolved to continue with the better safe than sorry approach of using a tube on tube-style wheels, and still keep on trying to avoid potholes, curbs, and riding on under inflated tires.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2010 13:09 #393992 by wlabrum
Replied by wlabrum on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
I went through this issue 15 years ago when I bought my 77 ltd. I seem if your bike was made in Lincoln Ne, such as mine was, it came equipped with Morris wheels,( they didn’t have enough production mags to use) which are tubeless. They can be identified two ways.
First there is a raised casting stamp with an M with a circle around it on the center of the rim between the two beads.
Second they had to use an aluminum adapter between the rotors and the rim in the front and the rotor/ sprocket and the rim in the rear.
I have gone thru countless sets of tires thought the 75000 plus miles I have put on it running them tubeless with no issues. Though as an added safety precaution I put a bead of weather stripping adhesive on the bead and add about 6-8 oz of slime to them. The slime stops any slow leaks and slows down a puncture at the same time acting as a viscous wheel balancer.

If it ain't a liter its just a mini bike

More
26 Aug 2010 17:56 #394063 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
wlabrum wrote:

...have gone thru countless sets of tires...75000 plus miles I have put on it running them tubeless with no issues....

But hit how many potholes while leaned over deeply in a high g turn, with or without an under-inflated tire, or hit a curb or pot hole with an under-inflated tire? :pinch:

Am highly doubtful that weather stripping adhesive on the bead and adding slime inside the tires will supplant function of the raised ridge in holding air when the tire sidewall is under stress.

It's not a matter of holding air while cruising along on relatively smooth roads for a zillion miles, which is unremarkable even with tires fitted to tubeless style wheels absent tubes. It's about holding air when the tire sidewall is under stress.

Am hoping for all such daunting riders that their tire sidewalls always remains stress free, never hitting a pothole while deeply leaned in a high g turn, and never hitting a pothole, curb or other bad bump with an under-inflated tire.

Am meanwhile running quality tires with tubes on KZ900-B1 LTD Morris Mags (per instructions in FSM Supp) and on Z1's Lesters.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2010 18:46 #397127 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Tube or Tubeless? '78 KZ1000 Ltd. mags
Patton wrote:

wlabrum wrote:

...have gone thru countless sets of tires...75000 plus miles I have put on it running them tubeless with no issues....

But hit how many potholes while leaned over deeply in a high g turn, with or without an under-inflated tire, or hit a curb or pot hole with an under-inflated tire? :pinch:

Am highly doubtful that weather stripping adhesive on the bead and adding slime inside the tires will supplant function of the raised ridge in holding air when the tire sidewall is under stress.

It's not a matter of holding air while cruising along on relatively smooth roads for a zillion miles, which is unremarkable even with tires fitted to tubeless style wheels absent tubes. It's about holding air when the tire sidewall is under stress.

Am hoping for all such daunting riders that their tire sidewalls always remains stress free, never hitting a pothole while deeply leaned in a high g turn, and never hitting a pothole, curb or other bad bump with an under-inflated tire.

Am meanwhile running quality tires with tubes on KZ900-B1 LTD Morris Mags (per instructions in FSM Supp) and on Z1's Lesters.

Hahaha, Patton that is a good one, leaning in to a corner and slam a pothole. I doubt I'd be able to keep the bike on the road let alone worry about a flat tire. I live in the land of sinkholes. Never mind those damned menacing potholes. :silly: I sight my corners and only take them agressively when I know them well. But good point. I will remember that. The sink hole I fell in to gave me confidence that I won't worry about. When I get the picture up on my main computer and post you will be like WTF lucky your nuts are still attached. lol Actually, had I not seen it beforehand I would have had to had a quick trip to the emergency room to get my jewels set in a cast.
At any rate, the front tire tubed is a good idea, why not? The back tire I'd say no way. They have that strip you were talking about any way. The back tire I have had several issues with under hard acceleration. Breaking the stem at least once and then having several punctures. Those tires like to pick up nails under hard acceleration. They go low from leaking and then tire slips and cracks the stem off. The last time I had a flat there was no nail. It was all acceleration that broke the bead free to roam about.
But, I will NEVER recommend you do this or anyone else. I just know I am not afraid any longer. :woohoo: Like Billy Joel "You may be right, I may be crazy, but I may just be that lunatic you're looking for." when it comes to the women in my life that is. lol

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200