Steering head bearing replacement

More
08 Feb 2010 11:32 #347253 by pz1morton
Replied by pz1morton on topic Steering head bearing replacement
all i can say is that it is a wise decision to change the bearings in the steering stem.the factory ones are garbage.here is a tip to install the bearings and no damamge will occur.i do this all the time on all off my bikes and my race bikes included.first for the stem bearings put them in the freezer for about 2 hours they will shrink.clean out the collar in order to accept them when ready.also i have cup installers to assist them but you can always use a piece of wood to assist them in.now for the stem where the bearings go the lower [ always make sure you put the dust seal on first ] use an old pot with water and boil the water.when water is boiling put the lower bearing for about 5 mins.then take pot and all out to where you are working usea pair of tongs [ not thongs ] kitchen utensil to grab the bearing and slide it on the shaft. it will slide all the way down to the grease seal.to assist this bearing down use a piece of pvc union 1 1/2 should work.after components cooldown grease up and start assembling the front end back together.remember not to over tighten stem bearing.

Regards Paul

1975 Z1 X 2 one i've had since new [many thanks to a great dad whos now since past]i've seen my son eyeing it every now and then.has 1075 kit,yosh cams,yosh pipe,29 smthbrs,rearsets.
1978 KZ650C that i race
1984 GPZ900
1972 CB350 building as another race bike
1982 CB750 w/836 kit,yosh cam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2010 14:08 #347270 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic Steering head bearing replacement
If your impatient dry ice works great on the inner races. Only takes a couple minutes.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
08 Feb 2010 22:44 #347356 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Steering head bearing replacement
Thanks for the installation tips!

I've used the freezer trick in the past. A heat gun/hair dryer is also a handy tool to have in the shop. I've used one many times to gently heat metal to help expansion - works pretty good.B)

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
10 Feb 2010 00:22 #347518 by savedrider
I've got a quick installation question. I received the new All Balls bearing kit which includes grease seals. The stock lower race had a grease seal and washer below it. Should I leave the original grease seal and washer in place and also use the new All Balls seal or do I only need the new seal for the lower bearing?

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
10 Feb 2010 00:28 #347521 by savedrider
savedrider wrote:

I've got a quick installation question. I received the new All Balls bearing kit which includes grease seals. The stock lower race had a grease seal and washer below it. Should I leave the original grease seal and washer in place and also use the new All Balls seal or do I only need the new seal for the lower bearing?

I found a thread that may have answered my question: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=332813#333047

I'd still like to hear more input from those that have done this swap. If it won't get in the way I'm leaning towards keeping the original seal and washer.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
10 Feb 2010 12:25 #347580 by savedrider
After looking at things today it doesn't look like the old grease seal and washer would be needed after all. The new seal does a much better job of sealing.

When you press the stem bearing on do you press it on as far down as it will go?