"Squirrely" over 70mph

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Dec 2009 19:28 #340086 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
i can change the rim any where but a high strong wide bench is a big help...and a third hand to pin a iron while i get another bite,shallow bites miss the tube,small steps of an inch for the next slide over save time,they don't fight the bars like a 3 inch bite does....i kneel next to my car and have some one drive back onto the tire super close to the rim....to pop the bead free if it is being difficult...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
20 Dec 2009 19:30 #340087 by trianglelaguna
i always leave the chain like this and a throw away rag with brakleen to wipe the hub out,grease the bearings while out,and wipe the chain free of grit.....good to go...0% wobble this morning at 100 mph...and good launch from a burn out.....oh well....seems balanced fine:woohoo:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
20 Dec 2009 20:28 #340096 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
I balance mine off the bike. Just support the ends of the axle (I put an ice chest under each end, very professional) and spin the tire. When it stops turning mark the tire at the top. Do this again. If the marked spot stops at the top again, that's the lightest spot. I use the strip weights with the adhesive already applied. You can tape some weight at the light spot and spin it again. Adjust the weight and do this until the tire seems to stop at random positions. Then you can peel the adhesive rom the weight and stick it on center of the rim at the light spot, or you can divide the weight in 2 equal parts and spread them equidistant from the light spot. This will give you 3 equal "heavy" spots and eliminate the barbell effect of 2 opposing heavy spots. When you're done check it by spinning the wheel a few more times to ensure it doesn't always stop at the same spot. Keep in mind,this is a time and beer consuming process, so don't even start it when you're in a hurry. I do mine with the disks attached so they are balanced too. You will be surprised at how out of balance some tires can be. By the way, as trianglelaguna said don't go in deep with the tire irons, just catch the edge of the rim or you will pinch the tube. I guide the tip of the iron with my finger to be sure it doesn't catch the tube. My wife acts as my 3rd hand. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Dec 2009 07:42 #340137 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
That is because you molested it as you slid it on the rim you TP TT. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
trianglelaguna wrote:

we put a new rear on my 900 cause it picked up a slice.....and even though my old rear was the same (avon roadrider) and was only a few months old,and even though i ran 36 psi in both,and even though my shock settings,chain adjust marks and all else is set exactly as it was on the old tire.....

my bike is completely different feeling than it ws yesterday in the rear.....it feels like i clicked my koni's up to passenger settings and is way smooth on tracking setting into freeway sweepers and 90 degree in town turns.....

go figure...see what it feels like in 50 miles....

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
21 Dec 2009 07:54 #340139 by saxjonz
I haven't read the posts yet but Dunlops??? That is probably your problem right there. These tires IMO and I know people on here disagree but... these tires I would never ever run on my bike ever again. I have had several before so I have plenty of experience with them and I have found that the rubber gets harder than most other brands making them without traction which was fun for me doing burnouts on the road at 30 and impressing my friends to think my bike had nasty power but on the highway after sitting for so many years the cornering was a bit scary. Tires don't like flat spots so very well. Did you check the wheel bearings as well?
Also just because they line up on the marks doesn't mean the wheels are in perfect alignment. The shocks may not be equally compressing, the fork seals? have they been leaking. Too many factors at play here. There is something going on for sure and I would bet it is the tires being old and decrepid but you are a mechanic and I would assume you know and have ruled out those things. You weren't a Harley mechanic were you?
Martynbiker wrote:

Hello again...

Although I have been working on Bikes for 30 years and consider myself a fairly competent mechanic who will take on most things I have never owned a KZ before and they sure are a little different to most other bikes I have ridden.
Handling wise, my KZ1000P feels like it is going to be a pig at low speed yet is as agile as any bike I have ridden, the tires are Dunlops and hold the road well, yet will 'track' the slightest groove in the pavement making the bike sometimes feel as if it is bendy in the middle.:unsure:
My main concern is over 70mph it feels as if I am riding on ice, the bike is very "squirrely" and feels 'loose'.

I have checked tire tread and pressures, the head bearings are fine, no notchiness or stiffness, the swing arm bearings are OK, the rear shocks seem fine as do the front forks.

Is it ME, or do they all feel this way? my old DR650 was rock steady at 80-90mph but there is no way I want to do these speeds on the KZ, she feels happier at 55-60.

Any ideas Guys??

79 LTD B3

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
21 Dec 2009 20:29 #340213 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
I am a believer in balancing motorcycle tires. I just like that velvety smooth feeling. Also helps the tire to stay glued to the road instead of constantly challenging the front shocks and trying to bounce around.

I do like 650ed does to balance the tire and wheel assembly, except that I use two cinder blocks, standing on end. Then I place two 1" x 2" pine strips on top of the cinder blocks and under the axle. As the "heavy spot" settles to the bottom, I slightly roll the axle back and forth. This allows the heavy spot to more accurately find the lowest point. Mark that spot. Repeat the exercise several times. Then start adding weight opposite the heavy spot. Trial and error until the tire will stop at any spot and not roll.

Good luck.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

• Martynbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1993 KZ1000P
More
21 Dec 2009 21:55 #340223 by Martynbiker
Replied by Martynbiker on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
saxjonz wrote:

you are a mechanic and I would assume you know and have ruled out those things. You weren't a Harley mechanic were you?

Yes I have ruled out everything bar the tires. So tires it MUST be! ;)

Harley Mechanic? Harley mechanic!!!!!! roflmao, I have worked on exactly two Harley in my life, both in the last 10 Days. No brakes, Don't Handle, Crap gearbox, overloud, lumpy vibrating nasty crappy things they are...
Thats gonna bring out the Haters.... lol

If you cant fix it with a Hammer....... it's gotta be an Electrical problem...

More
26 Dec 2009 13:23 #340760 by saxjonz
lol! Just checking to see if you were paying attention. I had put some new tires on my 79 before I gave up on her many years ago and bought a zr1100 on the criminally cheap but then when my garage went up in flames I got her out of storage and had exactly the same problems with the tires. Now I know many people on here love Dunlops and they are just fine for Harley's but I personally think they will never ever ever hug my KZ rims again. Not as agressive as I like to ride around corners and straight out accellerate and brake. Those be the recipe for white knuckles and racing striped underwear if you ask me.:huh:

79 LTD B3

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
26 Dec 2009 16:26 #340766 by trianglelaguna
dunlops scare ole saxon ,cause'n he don't believe in helmets or gloves.....kinda like sitting on the hood of a civic in street clothes going 65 down the road...he's a tough guy that larry.....just kinda slow in the helmet

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Dec 2009 17:45 #340772 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
trianglelaguna wrote:

dunlops scare ole saxon ,cause'n he don't believe in helmets or gloves.....kinda like sitting on the hood of a civic in street clothes going 65 down the road...he's a tough guy that larry.....just kinda slow in the helmet

a lot of us tempt fate....kinda like the roadside tire change manuever with the turkey pan and the wheel weight delete option.......classic....:woohoo: ...:laugh:

More
26 Dec 2009 17:51 #340774 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic "Squirrely" over 70mph
Don't mind sax...

He makes his wife wear Pirelli Diablo Corsa Victoria Secret undies..... :P :laugh:

Me... Michelin Road Pilot 2's... Sweet! ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
26 Dec 2009 18:15 #340776 by trianglelaguna
dunlops.....rock....never need balancing

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife