Tire cupping

More
02 Dec 2009 20:13 #337177 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tire cupping
My front tire cupped when the fork tubes were skewed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2009 04:56 #337204 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Tire cupping
Kawickrice wrote:

Cupping on my truck was from bad shocks.

I would look at everything in the suspension. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
03 Dec 2009 06:49 - 03 Dec 2009 06:50 #337232 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tire cupping
Vaguely recalling something from Dunlop about front tire cupping being related to using front brake.

Suspect pulsing during braking, due to warped disk, would hasten the cupping.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Dec 2009 06:50 by Patton.

More
03 Dec 2009 07:07 #337234 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Tire cupping
Patton wrote:

Vaguely recalling something from Dunlop about front tire cupping being related to using front brake.

Suspect pulsing during braking, due to warped disk, would hasten the cupping.

I remember my zx-9 having the same problem and if i remember correctly, one of my riding buddies at the time
saying something about braking in corners having something to do with it....the cupping was minimal, but you could feel it if you ran your hand over tire edge.....

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 Dec 2009 08:28 #337239 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Tire cupping
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns.

This cupping develops within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when they bank into a turn.

The leading edge of the tread does not flex much as it grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern where the tread flexes more causing less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the cupping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this cupping will develop. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is softer.

Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many serviceable miles by running low. Improper balance has nothing to do with cupping on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate within certain specific speed ranges.

Cheers!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
03 Dec 2009 08:50 #337240 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Tire cupping
TeK9iNe wrote:

Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns.

This cupping develops within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when they bank into a turn.

The leading edge of the tread does not flex much as it grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern where the tread flexes more causing less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the cupping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this cupping will develop. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is softer.

Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many serviceable miles by running low. Improper balance has nothing to do with cupping on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate within certain specific speed ranges.

Cheers!

B)

Very interesting. Makes sense to me

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Dec 2009 09:25 #337247 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Tire cupping
TeK9iNe
Very good explanation. B) Thanks.
Where did u learn about that?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
03 Dec 2009 09:52 #337253 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tire cupping
yes, thanks. I was going to write basically the same thing, but my writing skills are no good.:laugh: This question gets asked over and over and over again on every motorcycle newsgroup and it's just downright amazing what goofy ideas people have on the subject.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Dec 2009 10:05 #337256 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Tire cupping
I never new what the cause was. this is new to me on the sides.i had it on the center before. i assume that was due to the tires being out of balance.
I just got an email back from the local bike shop and he said
"Usually its an air pressure issue or balance issue.
Most tires when worn will cup though."

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
03 Dec 2009 14:24 - 03 Dec 2009 14:25 #337289 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tire cupping
As to reasons for cupping, here's a link with some illustrations to help explain the interaction between tire and road surface when braking or leaning.

w6rec.com/duane/bmw/cupping/index.htm

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Dec 2009 14:25 by Patton.

More
05 Dec 2009 17:10 #337644 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Tire cupping
My front tire also has cupping, but on the left side only.
I am using Bridgestone Spitfire tires.
I will be replacing both tires this Winter, and will keep a better eye on tire pressure this time.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
05 Dec 2009 17:46 - 06 Dec 2009 05:06 #337651 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Tire cupping
Make sure you change your fork oil if the front is wearing on one side. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
Last edit: 06 Dec 2009 05:06 by roy-b-boy-b.