Oil in forks?

More
30 Oct 2009 12:36 #330509 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil in forks?
polkat wrote:

Okay, I'll give her a try. Oh yea, should the upper fork clamps be loosened to do this?

YES -- The upper fork clamps should be loosened before attempting to remove the caps, and should also be loose when installing the caps.

On some bikes, the caps are almost impossible to unscrew without first loosening the top fork clamps.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2009 15:13 #330530 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil in forks?
Mine has the drain plugs on the sides of the forks. Remove them BEFORE you jack the front end up and use the handlebars (up and down) to pump the oil out of the forks. Then jack it up and take the tops off and refill the oil. If the oil is really dirty, fill it and button it up and pumpp it for a while and drain it again. Some of us folks get lazy and don't change the oil for a long time...:P

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Oct 2009 15:14 - 30 Oct 2009 15:15 #330532 by bountyhunter
polkat wrote:

1982 KZ750H. How does one put oil in the forks, how much, and what kind?

The best oil for my 750 is the 15W fork oil. Bel Ray is good. Don't use motor oil, the viscosity ratings are not the same.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Oct 2009 15:15 by bountyhunter.

More
30 Oct 2009 19:47 - 30 Oct 2009 19:49 #330575 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Oil in forks?
Got the oil out. Man, came out looking like some old grey substance! I doubt it was changed for some time. My manual says to use 10W oil, doesn't say motor oil or anything else. But you're saying motor oil is a bad idea?

Also, the manual says to use "liquid gasket" on the bleed screws and reinstall them with their gaskets!? Neither screw had a gasket! They weren't leaking though. Can I assume that "liquid gasket" means something like Loc-tite? Or can I just spread them with a little Permatex #2?
Last edit: 30 Oct 2009 19:49 by polkat.

More
30 Oct 2009 20:55 #330588 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Oil in forks?
Mine did the same thing. I'm glad I wasn't standing in front of the port when I pushed down on the fork. It spewed out about 6 ft and stuck to a table I had leaning against the garage wall:

I put in 10W like the manual said and it works fine. I think that next year when I change it again, I'll try something a little heavier like 15W. I just used some RTV liquid gasket on the screws and it sealed great.

Have fun!

More
30 Oct 2009 21:32 #330592 by bountyhunter
polkat wrote:

Got the oil out. Man, came out looking like some old grey substance! I doubt it was changed for some time. My manual says to use 10W oil, doesn't say motor oil or anything else. But you're saying motor oil is a bad idea?

Yes, you need real fork oil. All bike shops have it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Oct 2009 21:34 #330594 by bountyhunter
polkat wrote:

Also, the manual says to use "liquid gasket" on the bleed screws and reinstall them with their gaskets!? Neither screw had a gasket! They weren't leaking though. Can I assume that "liquid gasket" means something like Loc-tite? Or can I just spread them with a little Permatex #2?

I think blue loctite would work, but the typical silicone rubber gasket maker stuff will also work.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Oct 2009 21:36 #330595 by bountyhunter
Link14 wrote:

Mine did the same thing. I'm glad I wasn't standing in front of the port when I pushed down on the fork. It spewed out about 6 ft and stuck to a table I had leaning against the garage wall:

Everybody does that the first time. Second time, wrapa paper towel around to cover the hole and tape it to hold it on the fork while you pump so the floor won't be covered in oil.;)

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Oct 2009 22:58 #330597 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Oil in forks?
I have what is supposed to be the actual shop manual (Kawa), but it's a copy someone made for me and the pics in it are poor.

Link14, when you say 10W do you mean engine oil? The manual doesn't specify a "fork" oil. What would happen if I just used 10W? (I already have 10W and I'm poor) :-) !

More
31 Oct 2009 08:21 - 31 Oct 2009 08:25 #330637 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Oil in forks?
polkat wrote:

...The manual doesn't specify a "fork" oil. What would happen if I just used 10W?...

I believe the Fork Oil table in the Scheduled Maintenance section implies that you're supposed to use fork oil. One of its attributes is that it's non-foaming.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2009 08:25 by JMKZHI.

More
31 Oct 2009 11:58 - 31 Oct 2009 14:35 #330662 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Help, new problem!
Okay, new problem. I got the caps off and pulled the springs. Everything that came out was covered in a gray sticky mess, almost like a light axle grease the same color as the nasty gray oil that came out when I pulled the bleeder screws. Frankly, I don't think in the 28 years of this bike's life, the forks have ever been serviced. There was no air in the forks when I tried to release it.

Anyway, as I do not have the tools to disassemble the tubes, is there any kind of flush or solvent I can run through them that won't hurt the rubber seals? Thanks!
Last edit: 31 Oct 2009 14:35 by polkat.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
31 Oct 2009 15:54 #330693 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Help, new problem!
I used a small amount of the fork oil to flush the fork tubes. You can also take a wire coat hanger, make a loop on one end and attach some paper towel to the end. Stick it down the tube leg and swab it around,you will be surprised at how much aluminum dust (grey slime) and crud will come out of those tubes. Just don't lose the paper towel down the tube.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P