Air valves in fork tubes?

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
09 Oct 2009 18:55 - 09 Oct 2009 19:15 #326466 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Air valves in fork tubes?
I rigged up a guage and hoses that really work well. From a good hardware store - I bought a 4-way brass cross connection, a liquid filled (0 - 30 psi) guage and some barbed hose fittings, hose etc.. All connections are 1/8" NPT.

The four legs of the cross are for: 1. The gauge; 2. the left fork; 3. right fork; and a schrader valve to fill the system. The cross is held to one of the handlebar bolts with a small angled bracket that I made, and a small hose clamp around the body of the valve. I then had to make special fittings to connect to the fork top connections. I used some metal valve stem caps from an old BMW car. Drilled a 1/16" hole through the center of the cap. Silver soldered the barbed fitting to the valve stem cap. Removed the valve stem center device from each fork top fitting. Screwed the special valve stem/barbed fitting onto each fork top. Connected the left and right forks to the cross with plastic tubing.

The pressure changes as the bike is on the center stand; and as you get on and off the bike; and as you ride. Pressure rises upon braking; falls upon acceleration. The liquid gauge dampens the movement of the needle. I like the feature of having equal pressure on each fork, and knowing at all times what the pressure is. Also the filler schrader valve is very easy to access.

I'll try to post pictures if I can.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Oct 2009 19:15 by WABBMW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2009 21:51 #326735 by KYKZ1100
Replied by KYKZ1100 on topic Air valves in fork tubes?
Sounds like a neat arrangement but I can't see the picture. Has anyone tried using a crossover from another model KZ and just drilling holes in the fork legs above the lower triple clamp?

1981 KZ1100A1 Shaft
2007 BMW R1200R

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
13 Oct 2009 09:35 #327302 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Air valves in fork tubes?
my 550 spectre had the crossover built in if you can find a donor...you could even steal the whole front assembly.