77 KZ650C Rear wheel question

More
18 Jul 2009 22:19 #307957 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 77 KZ650C Rear wheel question
djcody wrote:

They are actually only a year and a half old. I had them on the lowest setting at first but raised to the next to keep from bottoming out. They are the same ones you see on ebay in the blue box for $80. These too are pretty stiff so dont know why it did it.

:unsure: Are the existing shocks shorter than standard length? :unsure:

Sometimes shorter shocks are fitted in an effort to lower the seat height, which also reduces clearance between the rear tire and fender.

Where the standard length shock does not contact the fender under strong compression loads, a shorther shock providing less under-fender clearance may well allow the tire to hit the fender under the same strong compression loads.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2009 05:27 #307982 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic 77 KZ650C Rear wheel question
Nebr_Rex wrote:

going to a 16 in. wheel will only lower your seat about 3/4"

Probably the easiest route to finding a 16" wheel is off an SR, KZ650D, model. That said, the tire mounted on those rims is taller and fatter for a "custom" look. As Rex wrote, it won't lower the bike much for you.

The later Ltd and CSR models have a much lower seat than the earlier '650s with that deep stepped seat. But you'll have the same issue as now--you won't be able to slide back.

I'd advise that you get a stock, flat, "surf board" style seat. You can change them out rather quickly so when you ride two-up you can put the king-queen seat on and when you're solo put the stocker on so you can slide around.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
19 Jul 2009 17:36 #308084 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic 77 KZ650C Rear wheel question
Thanks for the input guys.

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods

More
19 Jul 2009 17:55 #308090 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 77 KZ650C Rear wheel question
Sorry to point this out, but if your shocks are bottoming out they simply are no good. They may be new, but if they are some sort of Chinese junk they were bad the day they were made. I weight 205 and my wife weighs 115ish. We frequently ride 2 up and I ride pretty hard on back roads (today we rode more than 150 miles). My shocks never bottom, period. Currently I'm using Hagons (let me know if you need specific info; I'll provide) and before I was using S&Ws. The S&W's never wore out; I went with Hagons to give a more stock like appearance. You cannot buy quality new motorcycle shocks for $80. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Jul 2009 15:14 #308279 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic 77 KZ650C Rear wheel question
Sorry I should have noted that they only bottomed out on the lowest setting. When moved to the next notch I never had a problem again.

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods