Front brake locking up!!

More
05 Jun 2009 15:56 #296561 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Front brake locking up!!
Patton wrote:

There are two holes between reservoir and bore.

The larger hole feeds fluid into the bore.

The small hole, sometimes difficult to see, relieves pressure from the bore and line when brake handlebar lever is released.

The small hole might be blocked and thereby unable to relieve brake line pressure, resulting as if brake remains applied after releasing handlebar lever, so brakes over-heat and pads lock up against the disc.

I would check out the small hole.

Good Luck! :)

9 times out of 10 this has been what I have found. Moisture/crud builds up and blocks that tiny hole. Pressure can't release causing the caliper to bind. I pull a strand out of a wire brush and use that to clear the hole. Let us know what you find.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joshmickelson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2009 17:35 #296805 by joshmickelson
Replied by joshmickelson on topic Front brake locking up!!
arai59 wrote:

Patton wrote:

There are two holes between reservoir and bore.

The larger hole feeds fluid into the bore.

The small hole, sometimes difficult to see, relieves pressure from the bore and line when brake handlebar lever is released.

The small hole might be blocked and thereby unable to relieve brake line pressure, resulting as if brake remains applied after releasing handlebar lever, so brakes over-heat and pads lock up against the disc.

I would check out the small hole.

Good Luck! :)

9 times out of 10 this has been what I have found. Moisture/crud builds up and blocks that tiny hole. Pressure can't release causing the caliper to bind. I pull a strand out of a wire brush and use that to clear the hole. Let us know what you find.

It looks like this was the problem. That smaller hole was completely blocked. I used a metal toothpick (dentist style!) to clear it. I am hoping I didn't make the hole too large. In relation to the larger hole, how big should this one be?

Thanks again everyone!

'78 KZ650

• joshmickelson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jun 2009 07:53 #297286 by joshmickelson
Replied by joshmickelson on topic Front brake locking up!!
rode it all weekend with no issues at all. Thanks again everyone!

'78 KZ650